The Space Tent: A Revolutionary Idea for Structuring Martian Towns

• Thread starter Protonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Space
In summary, I think the idea of building a giant dome on the moon or other planets is structurally unsound and is liable to break or at least crack. I propose the idea of The Space Tent, which is a giant plastic bag inflated to form a dome-like structure. This would protect us from large asteroids and other objects that might hit the colony, and would be cheaper and easier to repair than glass, due to the lack of an atmosphere on the moon.
Protonic
Hey we've all seen those movies and documentaries where civilization has buil giant glass domes on The Moon or oher planets. I say this is structurally unsound. It's going to break or atleast crack. I divised an idea called The Space Tent. We take a giant plastic bag the size of our martian township. We inflate it so it is a giant dome. It's infalted high so large car sized asteroids and objects will bounce off. It's smaller ones that I think are going to be the problem.

My Physics tells me that if we make it out off a superstrong form of plastic it may work. 2 actually. 1 innnerlayer that can stretch lik a garbage bag when large objects hit it. And then an outerlayer of tough tight plastic that will stop small sharp slow objects from peircing it. The logic is hat large object would be slown down and just roll off. Light objects would just bounce off. Least the fast one. The slow ones might get stuck on he plastic.

Then there's of course the issue of how do we repair it when there's a hole. I hink this beter than glass cause it would certainly break on contact. We'd have to make giant pillar cause glass is heavy. It would also be a lot more expensive. It may work cause they use this on this space station I believe. I wouldn't use it on The Moon cause there's no atmosphere to stop really large asteroids.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why do you assume they are glass? Surely if we have a super strong plastic, strong enough that we can inflate to do the job and protect us inside, it would make sense to make thicker (more solid) layers and create panels in the shape of a dome. Giving you better structure and rigidity. Plus, far more protection. Kevlar body armour style.

Do you have any clue how fast asteroids hit the moon? Nothing we can make will cause them to 'bounce off'. You need to learn a lot more about physics and engineering...

That's why I sai I wouldn't make it on The Moon. It has no atmosphere. This would be for Mars and thick atmosphered planets. Besides hey use an airbag on The Space Station.

Protonic said:
That's why I sai I wouldn't make it on The Moon. It has no atmosphere. This would be for Mars and thick atmosphered planets. Besides hey use an airbag on The Space Station.

You've seen the craters on Mars right? And you know the atmospheric build up of the planet?

Yes Mars is 1/3 the size of Earth/ I know he atmosphere is far thinner but it could deflect and bun small asteroids. Besides if any asteroid large enough to make huge craes hit our colony it wouldn't matte if the cover was made of glass or plastic.

Protonic said:
Yes Mars is 1/3 the size of Earth/ I know he atmosphere is far thinner but it could deflect and bun small asteroids. Besides if any asteroid large enough to make huge craes hit our colony it wouldn't matte if the cover was made of glass or plastic.
...or several feet of steel reinforced concrete, for that matter. So the dome doesn't have to be made to withstand such things.

Why not just make it from a material easy to patch (or even self-sealing?)?

With nanotechnology doesn't someone have selfrepairing plastic?

1. What is the purpose of the Space Tent in a Martian town?

The Space Tent is a revolutionary idea for structuring Martian towns that aims to provide a comfortable and sustainable living environment for human settlers on Mars. It serves as a protective enclosure that shields the town from the harsh Martian environment and also provides a breathable atmosphere and controlled temperature inside.

2. How is the Space Tent constructed?

The Space Tent is constructed using advanced materials and technology such as inflatable structures, reinforced fabric, and lightweight frames. These components are designed to withstand the extreme conditions on Mars, including high radiation levels and low atmospheric pressure.

3. Will the Space Tent be able to sustain human life on Mars?

Yes, the Space Tent is designed to provide a sustainable living environment for human settlers on Mars. It will have the capability to produce food, recycle waste, and generate energy using renewable sources. It will also have advanced life support systems in place to maintain a safe and habitable atmosphere inside the tent.

4. How will the Space Tent be powered?

The Space Tent will be powered by a combination of solar energy and nuclear power. Solar panels will be installed on the surface of Mars to harness the abundant solar energy available, while nuclear reactors will provide a reliable and stable source of power.

5. Can the Space Tent be expanded or modified?

Yes, the Space Tent can be expanded or modified as needed. Its inflatable structure allows for easy expansion and customization, making it adaptable to the changing needs of the Martian town. As the population grows, more Space Tents can be added to accommodate the increasing demand for living space.