1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Spanish Verb Gustar

1. May 5, 2004 #1
    According to my Spanish book, "Gustar" is defined as "to like". According to my spanish teacher, "Gustar" should be defined as "To please". According to the dictionary, both "to like" and "to please" are essentially analogous. I pointed this out to him (my Spanish teacher), and he said they are different. I respect my teacher; he is very talented in semantics and philosophy. I would like to see the error I have made in my analysis. Can someone please point it out to me?

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i am thinking this is more of a homework question then a philosophy question?

4. May 5, 2004 #3
    Think of the difference between "I like chocolate" and "Chocolate pleases me."

They're close -- either way I end up fat & happy. But in the first case, I'm the active one, I'm "doing" the liking. The chocolate just lies there waiting for me. In the second case it's the chocolate that's active. I just lie there and the chocolate does it's thing.

You can replace the chocolate with whatever pleases you. :wink:

Mmm...

5. May 6, 2004 #4
    And "gustar" is the second one.

cookiemonster

6. May 6, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just happens that in spanish, you don't like things -- things please you. Deal with it.

- Warren

7. May 8, 2004 #6
    Oh, I see now. Thank you. Very cool, I must say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?