Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The specific heat

1. Apr 9, 2003 #1
    Hello.
    The other day i couldn't sleep, so i started to think.
    After some long thinking, i reached a concludion (i was half sleep anyway !).
    I reached the conclusion that the specific heat of any matter is supposed to raise as the temprature of the body raises.
    So, am i kind of right ?
    Thank you :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2003 #2
    Does specific heat capacity vary with temperature? Yes. The values usually start to level off once you reach room temperature (there's often an exponential-like rise from very cold temperatures until you reach room temperature for a wide variety of substances) which allows most processes of general interest (e.g. in chemistry & biology) to be treated with a constant specific heat capacity.

4. Apr 9, 2003 #3
    Specific heat is a measure of how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of something 1 degree Celsius.

I imagine it would be true that as the object reaches a higher temperature it would require more heat to raise it's temperature. This is probably due to the fact that the atoms are farther apart when the substance is hot. Generally speaking, solids have lower specific heat than liquids (ice is about half that of water).

5. Apr 9, 2003 #4
    I always had a problem with the scientifical english terms, but i remember that the specific heat is "the ammount of heat energy needed to raise 1 kg of a certain matter 1 celsius degree.
    Anyway, my explanation of this has nothing to do with volume (i will write it later after i see some replies).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?