1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The spectrum of a double pulse

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I was working recently with a Michelson interferometer and measured the spectrum of the two pulses and see how the fringe spacing of the spectrum change as I change the position of one of the two mirrors in the interferometer, that is the time interval between the two pulses.

I first define the double pulse, then Fourier trnasform and finally take the squared absolute value to have an expression for the spectrum.

I do this:
    Two gaussian pulses at optical frequency w0 with same FWHM and spaced by t0:

E1(t) = exp(-a·t^2) · exp(j*w0*t) pulse 1
    +
    E2(t) = exp(-a·(t-t0)^2) · exp(j*w0*(t-t0)) pulse 2

Foruier Transform:

E1(w) = exp(-1/(4a)*(w-w0)^2 FT pulse 1
    E2(w) = exp(-1/(4a)*w^2) * exp(-j*t0*w) * delta(w-w0) * exp(-j*t0*w) FT pulse 2

E1(w) + E2(w) = exp(-1/(4a)*(w-w0)^2 * (1 + exp(-j*2*t0*w)

Taht is a gaussian function modulated by (1 + exp(-j*2*t0*w).

The absolute value of a complex number c is : sqrt( Re(c)^2 + Im(c)^2 ), so:

|(1 + exp(-j*2*t0*w)|^2 = (1+cos(2*t0*w)^2 + sin(2*t0*w)^2 =

2 * (1+cos(2*t0*w)) = 4*cos^2(t0*w)

And this gives the fringes in the spectrum.

Does anyone see any errors here ? I am not so sure about the result and appreciate any suggestion, critics.

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted