Determining the Speed of a Bowling Ball using Realistic Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of a ball hitting bowling pins at the end of a 16.5 meter long lane. The bowler hears the sound of the ball hitting the pins 2.50 seconds after releasing it. The question asks for the speed of the ball, taking into account the speed of sound which is given as 340 m/s. An expression is suggested to solve for the speed of the ball, but one person comments that the question itself is pointless as it does not conform to real-world values. The conversation ends with a discussion on the importance of using realistic values in physics exercises.
Emethyst
A ball traveling with constant speed hits the pins placed at the end of the bowling lane 16.5 metres long. The bowler heard the sound of the ball hitting the pins 2.50s after the ball was released from his hands. What was the speed of the ball? The speed of sound is 340 m/s.

i know the basic idea of the question, but how do you incorporate the speed of sound into it? You are looking for vf.

vi = 0, vf = ? d = 16.5 t = 2.50 s a = ?

Any help would be appreciated, as i have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Write an expression for t1, the time taken for the ball to hit the pins in terms of the ball speed, and another one for t2 the time taken for sound waves to travel from the pins to the person using distance and speed of sound. Then t1 + t2 = 2.5 . From here you can solve fo speed of ball.

thank you for the help, it helped a lot :smile:

Personally, I think the question is pointless. A real bowling alley is 60 feet (18.3 meters) from foul line to the center of the head pin. A lane that is only 16.5 meters long does not conform to USA Bowling specs. BTW - I can toss a ball 28+ mph. If I really try, I can hit 30.

I fail to see what the last post has got to do with anything at all. Clearly you're not going to object to a physics teacher in an exam that the values in the question do not appear realistic!

Other than learning to churn numbers, what is the point of doing exercises with unrealistic values? Practice with real world values. Too many mistakes are made by not recognizing bad data.

Besides, I was only here to investigate what might be some realistic values for bowling ball velocities. A physics forum is a bad place to investigate realistic possibilities?

What is the average speed of a bowling ball?

The average speed of a bowling ball depends on the weight of the ball, the force applied by the bowler, and the lane conditions. However, the typical speed of a bowling ball ranges from 16 to 20 miles per hour.

How does the speed of a bowling ball affect its trajectory?

The speed of a bowling ball affects its trajectory by determining how much time it spends on the lane before reaching the pins. A faster ball will have less time to hook or curve, while a slower ball will have more time to hook or curve.

What factors can affect the speed of a bowling ball?

The weight and size of the ball, the force applied by the bowler, the lane conditions, and the surface of the ball can all affect the speed of a bowling ball. Other factors such as the bowler's technique and the type of oil used on the lane can also play a role.

Is there an ideal speed for a bowling ball?

There is no one ideal speed for a bowling ball as it depends on the bowler's style, the lane conditions, and the desired trajectory. However, most professional bowlers aim for a speed of 19-20 miles per hour.

How can the speed of a bowling ball be measured?

The speed of a bowling ball can be measured using a radar gun or a tracking system that uses sensors to track the ball's movement. Some bowling alleys also have speed monitors installed on their lanes.