Leptons & Quark Speed in Nucleon | Average at Room Temp

• Thread starter Lok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the speed of a quark in a nucleon can be calculated using the same method as finding the speed of an electron in an atom. The mass of the quark and the size of the nucleon can be used to estimate its momentum. The inability to create 4 or more quark particles is due to the colour charges and colour confinement.
Lok
What would the speed of a quark in a nucleon be? I know they are bound by the strong force to a triangular shape, but to an outside observer they must show some movement, or the triangular structure as a whole should. What is it's speed ( average for room temperature )?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lok said:
What would the speed of a quark in a nucleon be? I know they are bound by the strong force to a triangular shape, but to an outside observer they must show some movement, or the triangular structure as a whole should. What is it's speed ( average for room temperature )?

You can find the "speed" by doing the same calculation as you would have done in finding the speed for an electron in an atom. Start from the Heisenberg uncertantiy realation for instance, take the size of the nucleon, 1fm, and then you'll get the order of magnitude of momentum. Then mass of quark is approx 5MeV/c². There are other ways in doing this of course, which can give you an approximate value of the speed.

Lok said:

Just out of curiosity, what does this have anything to do with "the speed of leptons"?

Zz.

It was about quarks ... but i was a little confused for a bit... then i edited the post but the title remained.

Tx for the formula. Is there any geometrical view on their motion though. There must be a reason for the inabillity to create 4(and beyond) quark particles, and the condition seems geometrical in nature.

Lok said:
It was about quarks ... but i was a little confused for a bit... then i edited the post but the title remained.

Tx for the formula. Is there any geometrical view on their motion though. There must be a reason for the inabillity to create 4(and beyond) quark particles, and the condition seems geometrical in nature.

It has to do with the colour charges of the quarks, and colour confinement.

1. What are leptons and quarks?

Leptons and quarks are subatomic particles that make up the building blocks of matter. Leptons are particles that do not experience strong nuclear force, such as electrons and neutrinos. Quarks, on the other hand, experience strong nuclear force and make up protons and neutrons.

2. How fast do leptons and quarks move in a nucleus?

The speed of leptons and quarks in a nucleus can vary, but on average, they move at speeds close to the speed of light. This is due to the high energy and strong forces present within the nucleus.

3. What is the average speed of leptons and quarks at room temperature?

At room temperature, the average speed of leptons and quarks is still close to the speed of light. However, their speed can also be affected by the temperature and pressure of the environment they are in.

4. How do scientists measure the speed of leptons and quarks in a nucleus?

Scientists use sophisticated instruments, such as particle accelerators, to measure the speed of leptons and quarks in a nucleus. By analyzing the particles' trajectories and interactions, scientists can determine their speed and energy.

5. Why is the speed of leptons and quarks important in understanding the behavior of matter?

The speed of leptons and quarks is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties and behavior of matter. It can help us understand how particles interact and how different forms of energy are produced and transferred within matter.