1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Speed of Light

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    I was having a little trouble understanding a concept in my book. My book asked the following question:

The frequency of electromagnetic wave A is twice that of electromagnetic wave B. For these two waves, which is the ratio wavelengthA/wavelengthB of the wavelengths in a a vacuum?

The answer turned out to be that the ratio would equal 1/2 because both waves have the same speed. I was able to calculate the 1/2 in my ratio, but I didn't understand how both waves would have the same velocity. I know frequency * wavelenth = velocity. If frequency is twice as large in one wave, how can they have the same speed?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Frequency * wavelength = velocity.

If velocity is fixed, then doubling frequency requires halving wavelength. That's what the question wanted you to realize.

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?