The Speed of Light

• Thread starter kyeohti
  • Start date
I don't want to beat a dead horse with anyone fixed on dogma, but I do understand the theory of relativity and the part on time dilation, I don't yet believe. Who knows of evidence that time dilation really does occur and that traveling faster than the speed of light really is and always will be impossible?

Thanks,

Kyeohti

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I don't want to beat a dead horse with anyone fixed on dogma, but I do understand the theory of relativity and the part on time dilation, I don't yet believe. Who knows of evidence that time dilation really does occur and that traveling faster than the speed of light really is and always will be impossible?

Thanks,

Kyeohti
There is incontrovertible evidence of time dilation. It's based on the decay rate of some cosmic ray particle (I forget what) as it travels from the upper atmosphere to detectors on the ground. I'm sure someone here will provide details, or you can find it on the internet. Sorry about the lack of specifics.

If you believe in FTL travel, well good luck with that.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Thanks,

Kyeohti
http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v3/n12/abs/nphys778.html

Zz.

PAllen
Science Advisor
2019 Award
There is incontrovertible evidence of time dilation. It's based on the decay rate of some cosmic ray particle (I forget what) as it travels from the upper atmosphere to detectors on the ground. I'm sure someone here will provide details, or you can find it on the internet. Sorry about the lack of specifics.

If you believe in FTL travel, well good luck with that.
Muons are produced in the upper atmosphere in large numbers by cosmic rays. If they decayed as they do at rest, they would be essentially all decayed within 1 km of travel. Thus we would see only those produced in the bottom 1km of the atmosphere. This would be a very small number. Instead, essentially all the muons make it to the ground, and are a major reason many experiments have to done in mine shafts - to filter out this ever present barrage of cosmic ray produced muons.

jtbell
Mentor
Or follow the link in the FAQ "Experimental Basis of Special Relativity" at the top of this forum.