The Speed of Light: Explaining Theory & Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and the speed of light, and the speaker's limited knowledge on the subject. They ask for explanations or experiments to understand it better. Another person recommends a book by Max Born that explores these ideas and suggests searching online forums for further information. The conversation also touches upon the idea of time travel and the possibility of objects traveling faster than the speed of light.
462chevelle
Gold Member
can anyone give me some good explanations or experiments about time and the speed of light. my knowledge at this point is kind of limited. I know the concept but can someone explain how its proven in theory or experiment.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is more stuff on the internet about this than you can shake a stick at. Surely you can do some research on your own and then come back with specific questions if there are things you don't understand?

There are loads and loads of good physics books which explain it as part of an explanation of something else =)
I recommend Max Born's Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, the whole first half of it explains these kinds of questions, even where the fundmental ideas about mass, force, movement etc. comes from and he explains some experiments and problems about calculating the speed of light. Have fun reading it if you do =)

i have been researching it online. but i can't seem to find anything more than what i generally read. I am curious. if getting closer to the speed of like makes time slow down, could you go back in time if you could go faster than the speed of light. is that possible to make an object go that fast? and what could possibly happen? or is this some left field idea that don't matter.

462C
Please search the Special Relativity forums. You should find lots of threads of interest.

1. What is the speed of light and why is it important?

The speed of light is a constant in physics, denoted by the letter "c". It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is important because it is the fastest possible speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe. It plays a crucial role in many fundamental theories and experiments in physics.

2. How was the speed of light first measured?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light was conducted by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the late 17th century. He observed the eclipses of Jupiter's moon Io and noticed that the timing of the eclipses varied depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter. From this, he calculated the speed of light to be approximately 220,000 kilometers per second.

3. What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to the speed of light?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It also introduces the concept of the speed of light being constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the relationship between matter and energy.

4. How is the speed of light used in modern technology?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as fiber-optic communication, laser technology, and GPS systems. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI and PET scans. Additionally, the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the famous equation E=mc², which is used in nuclear energy and atomic weapons.

5. Is it possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, making it impossible to accelerate further. However, some theories, such as the concept of wormholes, suggest that it may be possible to travel faster than the speed of light by bending the fabric of space-time.