Uncovering the Mystery of the Speed of Light: A Discussion on Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation focuses on an experiment that showed a pulse of light exiting a cesium cell before it entered, sparking discussions on the speed of light and superluminal group velocities. The article and applet provided explanations and clarifications, but there is still debate on the definition of "speed" and whether this experiment violates known laws of physics.
quantum_foam
Before I make my post, I'd just like to introduce myself. My nickname is quantum_foam, as you can see (it's from the book Timeline by Michael Crichton). I consider myself a novice at best when it comes to the various areas of physics. I am especially interested in quantum physics, but most of it is quite confusing to me. Anyway, let me continue my post.

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/4/7/8/1

I read about this experiment about a year ago, and I found it quite interesting to say the least. To me, the idea that the pulse of light existed the cesium cell BEFORE it had even entered was both defying my logic and intruiging at the same time. I have two questions for all of you:

1. I haven't been able to find an explanation for how exactly the pulse of light exited before it entered. Do any of you know why this happens, or is it not quite known even by scientists? If you do know why this happens, I would appreciate any explanation you could give.

2. Do you believe that this experiment actually proves that the speed of light is either infinite, or that it is a greater speed than what is generally accepted today?

Thank you in advance for any and all information you can provide me. I'll probably be asking you questions about some points made in your responses, so please bear with my ignorance, as I am wholeheatedly interested in expanding my knowledge in physics (especially quantum physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a link to an article, which has a link to another good article:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8lq8uh$voq$1@Urvile.MSUS.EDU

However, it focuses on superluminal group velocities, as opposed to the negative group velocity case you're talking about here, with the pulse supposedly "exiting before it enters".

Here is a relevant Java applet:

http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/APPLETS/20/20.html

(That page discusses the mathematics if you choose the "More details" link, and treats the negative group velocity case.)

They're interesting and non-intuitive, but these results do not violate the theory of relativity or any other known law of physics, so I always get kind of annoyed with the media hype over these results. It just boils down to what definition of the word "speed" you want to use. So "the speed of light barrier has been cracked" or other such claims are rather inaccurate, because there isn't any barrier like that to group velocity in the first place.

I did my best to look up as much information on what superluminal means, and from what I can understand, it's simply a *frame of reference* which is traveling faster than the speed of light. The article then goes on to say that indeed the phase velocity and group velocity can exceed the speed of light. This is where I get confused. The phase velocity of a wave is simply the speed of the wave itself, while the group velocity is the speed of the wavepackets. Indeed the phase velocity and group velocity may break the speed of light, but it says "no energy or information actually travels faster than c."

This is where I get confused. How can a wave travel faster than the speed of light, yet it is carrying no energy or information which travels faster than the speed of light? Does this mean the energy or information are delayed behind the head of the wave? Would the head of the wave even exist it contains no energy or information? I am thoroughly confused. Would you mind clearing this up? I have searched for an answer, but to no avail.

Article I Used:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Superluminal.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually a point of contention, so don't feel bad about being confused. It's possible to prove as a general theorem that electromagnetic effects cannot causally propagate faster than c. However, it seems to be difficult to translate this into a concrete definition of the "signal velocity" of a wave, such that this "signal velocity" is always less than or equal to c. The paper remarks that one proposed definition doesn't actually work (it can lead to superluminal signal velocity). So, I'm not sure that your question has an answer right now.

Thanks for all your input! My understanding on this experiment has been greatly improved!

1. What is the speed of light and how is it measured?

The speed of light is the fastest possible speed at which energy and information can travel through space. It is measured to be approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This can be calculated by dividing the distance light travels in one second by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. Why is the speed of light considered a fundamental constant in physics?

The speed of light is considered a fundamental constant because it is a universal limit that applies to all forms of energy and information, regardless of their source. It is also a key component in many fundamental equations and theories in physics, such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. How does quantum physics help us understand the speed of light?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It has helped us understand the speed of light by providing a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of light at the quantum level, such as the concept of wave-particle duality. It has also led to the development of quantum mechanics, which has been used to accurately predict and measure the speed of light.

4. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the speed of light can be exceeded. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and the amount of energy required to accelerate it further becomes infinite. This means that it is physically impossible for any object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the speed of light?

Understanding the speed of light has many practical applications in various fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and navigation. For example, the speed of light is used to calculate the distance of objects in space and to determine the timing of GPS signals for accurate navigation. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as fiber optics and lasers, which rely on the properties of light for their functionality.