1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Sphere! Mystifying

1. Jul 5, 2003 #1
    The Sphere! Mystifying!!!

Is it just me or is a sphere a truly remarkable thing??? I cannot ponder its properties so ill ask a few questions...

Is the curve of a sphere perpetual standard of somesort?? is it's value a standard variable in some higher level math??

Being a guy who needs elementary comparisons, can we equate this curve with a average angle of somesort in euclidian degrees?***

the best solution i have come up with here is taking a perimeter of a circle and putting it on top of the perimeter of X-agon(meaning an X sided symmetrical shape) and lining up the linear sides of the X-agon with the circle's perimeter so that each side intersects the circles perimeter twice and also so that the middle length of the X-agon is exactly double the length of each of the 2 outside parts of the side. (sometimes a million words cannot define a picture, but try)The end result from a satisfactory X-agon would be a defined degree, Right?

anyways, am i just crazy or is the sphere an incredibly complex and sophisticated body.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2003 #2
    I think youre crazy lol :wink:

4. Jul 6, 2003 #3
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, mind you that does not not mean I disagree with the above post :/

5. Jul 6, 2003 #4
    I like donut shapes myself.:smile:

6. Jul 6, 2003 #5
    although we have concluded that i am crazy, we still havent verified my attempt to bring an angle to a circle... any thoughts on this?

7. Jul 10, 2003 #6
    The angle is 90 degrees to a perpendicular line at a constant length from the center point for a circle and any angle within 360 degrees to a perpendicular line in the z axis and 90 degrees from the y axis at a constant length from the center point for a sphere.

Another interesting thing about a sphere is that it is nature's most efficient shape.

Had to edit a bit, I forgot the z axis for the sphere.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook