Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Sphere! Mystifying

1. Jul 5, 2003 #1
    The Sphere! Mystifying!!!

Is it just me or is a sphere a truly remarkable thing??? I cannot ponder its properties so ill ask a few questions...

Is the curve of a sphere perpetual standard of somesort?? is it's value a standard variable in some higher level math??

Being a guy who needs elementary comparisons, can we equate this curve with a average angle of somesort in euclidian degrees?***

the best solution i have come up with here is taking a perimeter of a circle and putting it on top of the perimeter of X-agon(meaning an X sided symmetrical shape) and lining up the linear sides of the X-agon with the circle's perimeter so that each side intersects the circles perimeter twice and also so that the middle length of the X-agon is exactly double the length of each of the 2 outside parts of the side. (sometimes a million words cannot define a picture, but try)The end result from a satisfactory X-agon would be a defined degree, Right?

anyways, am i just crazy or is the sphere an incredibly complex and sophisticated body.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2003 #2
    I think youre crazy lol :wink:

4. Jul 6, 2003 #3
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, mind you that does not not mean I disagree with the above post :/

5. Jul 6, 2003 #4
    I like donut shapes myself.:smile:

6. Jul 6, 2003 #5
    although we have concluded that i am crazy, we still havent verified my attempt to bring an angle to a circle... any thoughts on this?

7. Jul 10, 2003 #6
    The angle is 90 degrees to a perpendicular line at a constant length from the center point for a circle and any angle within 360 degrees to a perpendicular line in the z axis and 90 degrees from the y axis at a constant length from the center point for a sphere.

Another interesting thing about a sphere is that it is nature's most efficient shape.

Had to edit a bit, I forgot the z axis for the sphere.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?