The Spinning Siren - a perceptual brain teaser

In summary: I say she is going both ways!In summary, the conversation discusses a visual illusion of a spinning figure that can be perceived as spinning in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. The trick is to see it in the opposite direction of the initial perception, which can be difficult for some people. Possible explanations for this illusion include differences in eye strength or frequency of spin between the figure and its shadow. However, some argue that the illusion is flawed due to the direction of the shadow and it is only possible to see the figure spinning in one direction based on available information. Others suggest that the illusion can be seen in both directions by focusing on different parts of the image.
nonzero
The trick is to see this lady spinning in each direction: clockwise or counterclockwise. Most will see it orienting in one direction only. It's difficult to switch it in our minds. For many the task will be impossible.

http://mindbluff.com/clockwise.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay assuming it's not just a simple case of switching the direction of the spin ever so often, I reckon it's probably just a matter of two things being slightly out of sinc, either the frequency of spin of the lady and her shadow, or a difference in strength between the muscles in your right and left eye.

Soca fo so said:
Okay assuming it's not just a simple case of switching the direction of the spin ever so often,

The image is an animated GIF with only 34 frames, so it's not switching (although there does seem to be a slight hiccup between the 34th and 1st frame).

Soca fo so said:
I reckon it's probably just a matter of two things being slightly out of sinc, either the frequency of spin of the lady and her shadow, or a difference in strength between the muscles in your right and left eye.

I'm not sure what you mean-- if that were true, wouldn't you expect to see one version if you closed your left eye, and another version if you closed your right eye?

DaveE

A three dimensional skater can turn clockwise or counter-clockwise. However this skater is two dimensional. The direction she turns in is determined not by your eyes, for they can only see a two dimensional image, but by your brain. Imagine, instead of a human figure, an oblique line sweeping out a cone with the lower endpoint stationary. Now make a two dimensional flip book image of it. In the flip book, the upper endpoint will trace a line going alternately 'left to right' and 'right to left' in a plane. There is no question of clockwise or counter-clockwise there. Would the same illusion occur?

I think it would have something to do with one eye seeing her foot let's say, arrive slightly later on the right than the other eye does and your brain quickly switching between using (the information from) your dominant eye and the other eye when your dominant eye gets tired, so you would need to look through both eyes to get the effect.

I'm really just guessing here, but my feeling is that it would be a similar effect to what would happen when you watch a spinning wheel for a long time, after a while it looks like the spokes are rotating backwards. I'm guessing there would be an analogous effect for any such periodic motion where you're watching it for a decent amount of time. Of course if you still see the effect looking through only one eye that would blow that theory out of the water :)

Last edited:
I can mentally flip her direction of rotation pretty much at will - just don't "buy in" to the first direction your brain perceives, and that should help.

Okay just saw it switch looking through just one eye ;) so that theory is bogus. I seem to find it easier to switch the rotation when I look at her foot and the shadow of her foot at the same time, I can't help wondering if the shadow is playing some part here? Perhaps in simplifying the image in my mind to something similar to what you describe jimmysynder.

Last edited:
nonzero said:
The trick is to see this lady spinning in each direction: clockwise or counterclockwise. Most will see it orienting in one direction only. It's difficult to switch it in our minds. For many the task will be impossible.

http://mindbluff.com/clockwise.htm

This "illusion" is also flawed due to the shadow in the forefront, moving right to left, which would be moving in the opposite direction if she were even able to spin counter-clockwise.

The only way the acclaimed "left brain" would be able to see her spinning CCW is if they ignored available information.

Placing my hand over the shadow, I can indeed see her spinning CCW. But, sorry, my makes use of all available info, so, given the visual information provided in the "illusion," she's spinning CW.

If I cover up the silhouette and just look at the shadow underneath then look at her, I see her spinning CCW. If I cover up the entire silhouette and shadow except for the right side of the picture so that you can only see her arm poke in and out, I see her going CW.

mugaliens said:
This "illusion" is also flawed due to the shadow in the forefront, moving right to left, which would be moving in the opposite direction if she were even able to spin counter-clockwise.

The only way the acclaimed "left brain" would be able to see her spinning CCW is if they ignored available information.

Placing my hand over the shadow, I can indeed see her spinning CCW. But, sorry, my makes use of all available info, so, given the visual information provided in the "illusion," she's spinning CW.

I think that it's just fine. When seeing her go CCW, your brain thinks the shadow is caused because she becomes closer to the ground, which causes the shadow to come into view.

If you put your fingers over the body part and just look at the top of the head and shadow part, in my view the head is going a different way than the feet...

What is "The Spinning Siren" brain teaser?

"The Spinning Siren" is a perceptual brain teaser that involves an optical illusion. It is a rotating image that appears to be moving or spinning in a certain direction, but it is actually stationary.

How does "The Spinning Siren" work?

The illusion is created by the contrasting colors and patterns on the image. The brain tries to make sense of these conflicting signals, causing the image to appear to move or spin.

Why do some people see "The Spinning Siren" moving in one direction while others see it moving in the opposite direction?

This is due to individual differences in perception. Some people's brains may interpret the image one way while others interpret it differently. It can also depend on factors such as viewing angle and distance from the image.

Can "The Spinning Siren" be used to test visual perception?

Yes, "The Spinning Siren" can be used as a tool to test visual perception. It can help researchers understand how the brain processes visual information and how different individuals perceive the same image.

Is there a scientific explanation for why "The Spinning Siren" works?

Yes, there are several theories that attempt to explain the phenomenon. Some suggest that it is due to the way our brain processes motion, while others propose that it is a result of conflicting signals in the visual system. However, the exact mechanism is still not fully understood.