1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Spring Projectile

1. Jul 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile of mass m is shot (with velocity v) at target of mass M which has a hole containing a spring inside (with constant spring constant K), and the projectile hits the spring. The target is initially at rest, and can slide without friction on a horizontal surface (see the figure). Find the distance Δx that the spring compress at maximum.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySX8CbZB9eXR0RCLXRLcDl1eHM/view?usp=sharing Please find the figure attached.

2. Relevant equations
    Potential elastic energy
    U=1/2kx2
    Kinetic energy
    K=1/2mv2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to solve this question in two ways. The first, I know it is wrong. But apparently there is something wrong with the second one. It would be nice if you could help me find out what is my mistake here.
    1st attempt:
    k = U
    1/2mv2=1/2kx2

xf=sqrt(mv2/k)

Δx=xf-xi

Δx=sqrt(mv2/k)-xi
    2nd attempt:

From conservation of energy, one can assume that the total energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy of the system after the collision.
    Ebefore=Eafter
    Before the collision, the mechanical energy of the target is zero. Meaning that, initially, the total energy of the system is given by the kinetic energy of the projectile, Kprojectile.​
    Considering that all projectile's energy was transferred to the target one may write the following equation:
    Kprojectile=Ktarget - U

1/2mv2=1/2Mv2-1/2kx2

1/2kx2 =1/2Mv2-1/2mv2

x=sqrt[(Mv2-mv2)/k]

Thank you for your help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

This equation implies that final kinetic energy projectile is zero, right? Your goal is to find when the compression is maximum. Is there any reason you think this would be when the projectile has no speed?

You have to be careful with your equations: You used the same "v" to represent the projectile's initial velocity and the target's final velocity... But they are not the same...

4. Jul 3, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: invoke conservation of momentum AND conservation of energy.

5. Jul 6, 2015 #4
    If you're still in doubt,consider a frame of reference attached to the spring,and solve it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted