1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The square equation

1. May 5, 2005 #1
    I just want to see how can the square equation, [tex]a(x + {\frac {b} {2a})^{2} + ({c - {\frac {b^2} {4a}) [/tex], can be optained from

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]

Can anyone show me how the equation is manipulated to result into the square form?

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2
    your expression isn't quite right, but the correct one is easy to derive:

[tex]ax^2+bx+c = a\left( x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x\right) + c = a\left(x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{b^2}{4a^2} - \frac{b^2}{4a^2}\right) + c[/tex]

[tex] = a\left(x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{b^2}{4a^2}\right) + c - \frac{b^2}{4a} = a\left(x+\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2 + \left(c - \frac{b^2}{4a}\right).[/tex]

4. May 5, 2005 #3
    Thank you!

5. May 5, 2005 #4
    Whats the significance fo this?

6. May 5, 2005 #5
    My math teacher often don't explain the logic of anything and having learned the equation just today I was quite disturbed by it and I wanted to "understand" the equation. That's all. I admit I've been quite silly for not figuring it out...

Last edited: May 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?