The Sturgeon Conundrum

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/05/big_ball_of_columbia_river_stu.html

2. jcsd
  3. A sturgeon party and we were not invited?

4. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Auditioning for the chance to be a PF greeter!

5. My husband has informed me of his sighting of masses of sturgeon in the Grand River, here in MI. Nothing anywhere near that amount, but he said perhaps several hundred, and noted its a much smaller river.
    I wonder if the PF insurance would cover a injury due to a sturgeon wack?

6. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I would be more concerned about the PF sisters blowing out their disks even just trying to pick up one of those monsters. Some of the largest can easily grow to thousands of pounds.

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting! We have a second account of behavior that apparently was previously unknown to science.

8. lisab

Staff: Mentor

My first thought was of garter snakes, who gather in large groups for mating.

9. Grasshopper. What is the sound of one sturgeon swarming?

by the way, Im on th look-out for recipes for sturgeon ball soup.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  10. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

Was it entirely unknown? The article gave the impression the behaviour had been seen before, just not on this scale

"Biologists have heard reports of congregations of sturgeon at the surface of reservoirs and rivers, including shallow parts of the Columbia."

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure enough. The report I saw made it sound like a complete mystery and I didn't read the entire report linked.

12. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,539
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And hippies.

13. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Several things popped into my mind as possibilities when reading the article:
    1) Mating (not sure what's known about sturgeon mating and if this could be part of it).
    2) Safety in numbers while dormant or hibernating of some sort.
    3) Some sort of insulation from colder water temperatures...at least for those in the middle.
    4) Don't know how to swim through the dam but sure are trying.

I'd love to see some of the pictures of the sturgeon ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?