Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing The Sun from Pluto

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

This has always been something that has interested me. 2 things that I have found from the internet is that 1.) The Sun viewed from Pluto is (150 or 250) times brighter than the full moon. It varies of course depending on where Pluto is in its orbit.
    2.) The Sun is about 30 arcminutes viewed from Earth and about .75 arcminutes when viewed from Pluto.

If these two things are true, Then that means that the sun will certainly be (very) visible from pluto, but I can't help but wonder what size. Is there something in the night sky that is roughly .75 arcminutes. is that even something that could be distinguished? I think it is, at times, the size of Ceres from Earth. But Ceres is too dim for us to see.

It just boggles my mind. I want to look up at the night sky, see an object and say, ok that is what the sun looks like from pluto if it were 2000x brighter (or whatever)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Jupiter at closest approach is 50 arcseconds across, or about 0.8 arcminutes. It's just under the minimum resolution of the eye (about 1 arcmin depending on the person).

So on Pluto you'd look up and see a very, very bright point of light.

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3

grandpa2390

Gold Member

That is so crazy. some have said it would be painful to look at. Would it even look like a point. Like maybe the brightness would change its appearance?

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It would certainly look larger than 0.75 arcminutes just from diffraction and the fact that your eye isn't perfect. Just like how the Sun from Earth looks much larger than 30 arcminutes.

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5
    From Pluto the Sun would certainly be the brightest object in the sky.
    It would be nowhere near as bright as the Sun seen as seen from Earth though;
    but probably resolvable as more than a point source

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted