The Sun's Light: 8mins, 2degrees & Us

• Thread starter Sameer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the sun's light takes 8 minutes to reach the Earth. This means that the sun we see now is actually what the sun was before 8 mins. Earth rotates on its own axis and it rotates 2 degrees in 8 mins. So when actually the light traveled from the sun, we moved 2 degrees East. A misconception is that the angular displacement would be approximately the speed of rotation/translation divided by the speed of light - which is negligible. Why is it so? See I am still in lower classes and I don’t know about this so kindly explain...Sameer clears the misunderstanding.
Sameer
We know that the sun's light takes 8mins to reach the Earth.
That means the sun we see now is actually what the sun was before 8 mins.
We also know that Earth rotates on its own axis.
It rotates 2 degrees in 8 mins.
So when actually the light traveled frowm the sun, we moved 2 degrees East.
So the actuall position of the Sun is 2 degrees west.
Aint I right? Or its just a misconception??

Science news on Phys.org
That's a misconception. The correct angular displacement would be approximately the speed of rotation/translation divided by the speed of light - which is negligible.

why is it so?? see I am still in lower classes and I don't know about this so kindly explain...

Sameer,

There are a couple of ways of thinking about this.

First, imagine it's raining and the rain is falling straight down. You begin to walk, slowly at first. You will notice that the rain no longer appears to be falling straight down but is coming down at a slight angle. Now walk a little faster! You see the "slant" angle of the rain increase.

The deviation from the vertical of the falling rain depends on both the speed at which the drops are falling and the speed at which you are walking or running. Whatever your speed, it is clear that the faster the drops are falling, the more nearly vertical their descent becomes. Imagine them coming down REALLY fast - say at the speed of light! The raindrops will appear to you as coming straight down which gives the "true" direction of the source.

Another way of thinking about it is like this: Suppose the Earth is fixed and it is Sun that is moving through space at a speed equaling the actual sum of the Earth's speed in its orbit around the Sun plus its rotational velocity.

The Sun would appear to be moving at something like 67,000 miles per hour. In 8 minutes or about 1/7 hour, the Sun will have moved almost 9,000 miles. That sounds like a lot but to find the angular deviation of the Sun from its "true" or "present" position, you have to compare that 9,000 miles with the Sun's distance, about 93 MILLION miles. That works out to about 0.0004 radians or about 0.006 degrees or about 20 seconds of arc!

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you so much for clearing the doubt :smile:

I think one more factor; the bending of light due to the refraction of light through air is to be accounted. Isn’t it? Especially at morning and evening this affects a lot.

1. How long does it take for the sun's light to reach Earth?

The sun's light travels at a speed of about 186,282 miles per second. This means that it takes approximately 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach Earth.

2. Why does the sun's light take 8 minutes to reach Earth?

This is because the sun is about 93 million miles away from Earth. The distance between the sun and Earth is so vast that it takes 8 minutes for the light to travel from the sun to Earth.

3. How does the sun's light travel to Earth?

The sun's light travels in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This means that it is made up of both electric and magnetic fields, and it does not need a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves.

4. How does the sun's light affect Earth's temperature?

The sun's light is responsible for heating Earth's surface and atmosphere. This is because the Earth absorbs some of the sun's light and converts it into heat, which warms up the planet.

5. How does the angle of the sun's light affect us?

The angle of the sun's light, also known as the sun's altitude, affects the amount of light and heat that reaches a specific location on Earth. When the sun is directly overhead, or at a 90-degree angle, the light and heat are more concentrated, while at lower angles, the light and heat are spread out over a larger area.