Sun's Magnetic Pole Reversal & Current Location: North or South?

In summary: Summary: The Sun's Magnetic poles reverses every 11 year. The next reversal is expected around the year 2012.
Bjarne
The Sun's Magnetic poles reverses every 11 year.
Where is the magnetic North Pole now? - at geographic North or South?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
By quickly googling up our sun's magnetic cycle i can see that the latest reversal took place in 2001, at this time the magnetic south was pointed geographically north and magnetic north pointed geographically south. Each "flip" lasts about 11 years. So we can expect the next reversal to take place around the year 2012.

Mikeral said:
By quickly googling up our sun's magnetic cycle i can see that the latest reversal took place in 2001, at this time the magnetic south was pointed geographically north and magnetic north pointed geographically south. Each "flip" lasts about 11 years. So we can expect the next reversal to take place around the year 2012.

Oh lord, this must be one those things the 2012 doomsdayers are afraid of, right? If I may ask, why does the pole reverse so rapidly, given the mass and size of the sun, that seems rapid. In the case of a magnetar, does it do so at all, or is the switch a matter of microseconds?

Oh lord, this must be one those things the 2012 doomsdayers are afraid of, right?
I still find the concept of "2012" rather humorous although it does coincide with the solar cycle. Without getting to far into an "end of the world" discussion it does seem that the year 2012 is going to be an interesting year for solar activity.

If I may ask, why does the pole reverse so rapidly, given the mass and size of the sun, that seems rapid
SO far as i read, the reason for the 11 year cycle is not fully understood, which by the way if anyone has any link to info, post them i would love to read more. Anyways, what my impression seems to be is that major "cataclysmic" events in the sun cause major magnetic disturbances and changes. i.e solar flares and CMEs. The cause of this, my hypothesis, is a buildup of internal energy in the sun that gets released at the solar maximum causing the pole reversal and this loss of energy causes the sun to back into a buildup phase, the solar minimum and back to max, hence the cycle. Once again, only my little hypothesis on the subject.

I would compare it to a workout, you sprint for a while then rest to recoup your energy and so on and so forth.

as for the magnetar, i have no info on me about the reversal of a magnetic neutron star's poles.

Last edited:
Mikeral said:
I still find the concept of "2012" rather humorous although it does coincide with the solar cycle. Without getting to far into an "end of the world" discussion it does seem that the year 2012 is going to be an interesting year for solar activity.

SO far as i read, the reason for the 11 year cycle is not fully understood, which by the way if anyone has any link to info, post them i would love to read more. Anyways, what my impression seems to be is that major "cataclysmic" events in the sun cause major magnetic disturbances and changes. i.e solar flares and CMEs. The cause of this, my hypothesis, is a buildup of internal energy in the sun that gets released at the solar maximum causing the pole reversal and this loss of energy causes the sun to back into a buildup phase, the solar minimum and back to max, hence the cycle. Once again, only my little hypothesis on the subject.

I would compare it to a workout, you sprint for a while then rest to recoup your energy and so on and so forth.

as for the magnetar, i have no info on me about the reversal of a magnetic neutron star's poles.

Interesting, what you're saying about the sun sounds like magnetic reconnection. I'll have to read a bit on this, thank you.

I would imagine that the sun could flip more easily as it is made up of primarily hydrogen unlike the Earth's core of iron. As to do with 2012, the suns 11 year cycle is directly related to president obama's alien affiliation and our metamorphosis into the new age.

shortlk said:
I would imagine that the sun could flip more easily as it is made up of primarily hydrogen unlike the Earth's core of iron. As to do with 2012, the suns 11 year cycle is directly related to president obama's alien affiliation and our metamorphosis into the new age.

:rofl: Good one.

1. What is a magnetic pole reversal?

A magnetic pole reversal is a phenomenon that occurs when the Earth's magnetic field flips, causing the north and south magnetic poles to switch places. It is a natural and gradual process that has happened multiple times throughout the Earth's history.

2. How do scientists know when a magnetic pole reversal is happening?

Scientists use data collected from satellites, magnetic field measurements, and geological records to track changes in the Earth's magnetic field. By analyzing these data, they can determine if a magnetic pole reversal is occurring or is about to occur.

3. When is the next magnetic pole reversal expected to happen?

The exact timing of a magnetic pole reversal is difficult to predict, but scientists believe that the next one could occur within the next few thousand years. However, the frequency of pole reversals can vary, with some taking place every few hundred thousand years.

4. How does a magnetic pole reversal affect the Earth?

A magnetic pole reversal can impact various systems on Earth, such as navigation systems, power grids, and animal migration patterns. It can also cause changes in the Earth's climate, as the magnetic field helps protect the planet from solar winds and cosmic radiation.

5. Is the Sun's magnetic pole also expected to reverse?

Yes, the Sun's magnetic pole also goes through a reversal process, but it happens more frequently than the Earth's. The Sun's magnetic pole reverses approximately every 11 years, coinciding with the peak of its solar cycle. However, it does not have a significant impact on our planet's magnetic field.