Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The talking cure - which is better?

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Considering that it takes years and years of analysis. Is Classical Freudian Psychoanalysis a much effective way of curing people?

or

Is Cognitive-Behavioral therapy a much, more practical, efficient and effective way?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2
    I'll vote for Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, but not because it is less time-consuming. It is much more grounded in research.

4. Apr 18, 2004 #3
    Recognizing that: "What you see in others, is a truth, that arises from within you" that is the best therapy you will ever find, as it is revealling, totally, of you to yourself, but only if ya got the guts to look hard at yourself, and accept the parts of yourself that you don't like...openly! and honestly! (Ouch! Inculcated!)

5. Apr 18, 2004 #4
    Mr. Parsons, that is also a role played by the therapist. A mirror.

6. Apr 19, 2004 #5
    Uhmm yes if you cannot face yoruself entirely you will need help, personally, I found that 'within' as well, God, but not everyone can handle that one, so, YUP! they probably need the therapist to help them, no problemo.....

:cool:

7. Apr 19, 2004 #6
    Freud was an exceptionally perceptive man who arrived at alot of useful insights. I found The Interpretation of Dreams to be amazing. Somehow, though, his insights didn't translate into an effective therapy.

Cognitive Therapy, at least the version presented by David Burns M.D., strikes me as vastly superior to Freudian analysis

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  8. Apr 21, 2004 #7
    Cocounseling! It'll be easier to find a real audience.

9. Apr 22, 2004 #8
    What in the world is Cocounseling?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?