Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Term "Entropy"

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    I was reading some articles related to entropy and I come to know that,
    The term “Entropy” shows up both in thermodynamics and information theory.

Now my question is :
    What’s the relationship between entropy in the information-theory sense and the thermodynamics sense?

I need some clear and short guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3
    I can’t think of a best way to signify intuitively that entropy and information theory are essentially the same. Imperatively I found they both are hard to describe.

The amount of information it takes to describe something is proportional to its entropy. Once you have the equations (“I = log2(N)” and “E = k log(N)”) this is pretty obvious. However, the way the word “entropy” is used in common speech is a little misleading.

Right?

5. Feb 17, 2017 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The way the word [insert any physics terminology here] is used in common speech is a little misleading. This should not be surprising and it is very common.

However, you did ask this in a physics forum, and we seldom answer such questions using such misleading/mistaken concepts. What you will get is the standard physics answer. Isn't this what you were looking for?

Zz.

6. Feb 20, 2017 #5
    You misunderstood me. I was talking about,
    In thermodynamics every state is as likely to come up as any other. In information theory,

Why in thermodynamics every state is as likely to come up as any other? Can this be proved?
    I am still not clear.

7. Feb 20, 2017 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

8. Feb 21, 2017 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted