The Theory of Electrons: Unveiling Their Substructure and Mass Composition

In summary: The book is still quite relevant as it touches on the origins of mass and EM which is still an ongoing debate among scientists. In summary, Lorentz believed that electrons are point particles and that the mass of particles comes from the number of potential and kinetic mass in them.
Antonio Lao
In 1915, H.A. Lorentz published his works with the same title. I am not trying to plagiarize but to post the questions:

Is an electron a point or composite particle? Can the electron be shown to have a substructure? The answer is "yes" to both questions.

The hypothesis that is responsible for these answers is that all particles (fermions and bosons) are all composites.

If we theorize that there are two kinds of mass: the potential mass (H-) and the kinetic mass (H+), then all particles are composites of potential mass and kinetic mass.

A particle is a fermion if there are odd number of potential and odd number of kinetic mass in it. If these are even, then it is a boson.

The actual detectable experimental mass of the particle come about when the the number of p-mass and k-mass of each particle are not the same.

This is an alternative explanation for the mass of the W's and Z's particles in the electroweak theory which are k-mass.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I actually have this book by Hendrik Lorentz but I didn't realize that this is what it says ! In any case both the Bose _ Einstein statistics and the Fermi-Dirac statistics merely point out that isotopes have either less or more neutrons while others don't. Maybe this accounts for the behaviour , since isotopes with uneven number of isotopes would tend to interact , while balanced atoms would not.

McQueen,

Thanks for information about the statistics. I refused to buy this book from Dover Publisher because it cost $55.00. I don't think I really need it to continue my research on the origin of mass but again maybe I do because I am now stuck on crucial mathematical formulation.

I think Lorentz believed the electron is a point particle.

Antonio
The book was actually sent to me be some Ducth friends , Hendrik Lorentz was Dutch . I was a bit afraid of reading it because the maths was a bit dated . But what I did learn was that the whole concept of EM being due to the electron and "possibly" it's spin , originated with this work. Lorentz was awarded , I think deservedly , even though his work was later proved to be a misconstruction , the Nobel Prize.

Lorentz shared with Zeeman the 1902 Nobel Prize in physics.

If the math in Lorentz's book is dated as you say it is then I don't need to worry about getting it.

What is the Theory of Electrons?

The Theory of Electrons is a scientific explanation of the behavior and properties of electrons, which are subatomic particles with a negative charge that orbit around the nucleus of an atom.

How was the Theory of Electrons developed?

The Theory of Electrons was developed through experiments and observations by scientists such as J.J. Thomson, Ernest Rutherford, and Niels Bohr in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They discovered that electrons are negatively charged particles that exist in specific energy levels around the nucleus of an atom.

What are the key principles of the Theory of Electrons?

The key principles of the Theory of Electrons include the existence of electrons as negatively charged particles, their arrangement in specific energy levels around the nucleus, their movement and behavior influenced by electric and magnetic fields, and their role in chemical bonding and electricity.

How does the Theory of Electrons impact our understanding of matter?

The Theory of Electrons is crucial in our understanding of matter because it explains the structure of atoms and how they interact with each other. It also helps us understand the properties and behavior of materials, such as their conductivity and reactivity, which has practical applications in fields such as electronics and chemistry.

What are some practical applications of the Theory of Electrons?

The Theory of Electrons has numerous practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, which are used in electronic devices, and lasers, which use the behavior of electrons to produce intense beams of light. It also helps us understand chemical reactions, which has implications in fields such as medicine and environmental science.