The thermal interpretation of quantum physics

In summary: I like your summary, but I disagree with the philosophical position you take.In summary, I think Dr Neumaier has a good point - QFT may indeed be a better place for interpretations. I do not know enough of his thermal interpretation to comment on its specifics.
Demystifier said:
Bell introduced the notion of local beables. Those are not beables with local interactions, but beables defined locally at space points. In this sense, Bohmian mechanics is a theory of fundamental local beables (particles have well defined positions in space) with nonlocal interactions. The many-world interpretation, on the other hand, is a theory of nonlocal fundamental beables (the state in the Hilbert space is not defined at a space point). The thermal interpretation is somewhere in between, because it contains both local fundamental beables (e.g. ##\langle\phi(x)\rangle##) and nonlocal fundamental beables (e.g. ##\langle\phi(x)\phi(y)\rangle##).
Yes. the thermal interpretation has both local and nonlocal fundamental beables. Hence it is not affected by Bell's theorem, which assumes fundamental beables to be local.

Likes Auto-Didact, indefinite_123 and Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
Yes. the thermal interpretation has both local and nonlocal fundamental beables. Hence it is not affected by Bell's theorem, which assumes fundamental beables to be local.

Sorry for the trivial question, but is the presence of nonlocal fundamental beables a nonclassical feature of the thermal interpretation?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
indefinite_123 said:
Sorry for the trivial question, but is the presence of nonlocal fundamental beables a nonclassical feature of the thermal interpretation?

Thanks in advance!
There are a number of traditional classical nonlocal features such as distances, areas, and volumes, derived from local fundamental features.

But the presence of nonlocal fundamental beables is definitely a nonclassical feature characteristic of the TI.

Likes indefinite_123
A. Neumaier said:
There are a number of traditional classical nonlocal features such as distances, areas, and volumes, derived from local fundamental features.

But the presence of nonlocal fundamental beables is definitely a nonclassical feature characteristic of the TI.

Ok! thank you!

@A. Neumaier How does the reformulation of quantum mechanics and electroweak theory in terms of the Clifford algebra ##C(\mathbb{R}^{3,1})## (cf. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305483161_Geometric_Algebra_as_a_Unifying_Language_for_Physics_and_Engineering_and_Its_Use_in_the_Study_of_Gravity, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/252922221_Mysteries_and_Insights_of_Dirac_Theory, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1739641_Gauge_Gravity_and_Electroweak_Theory) mathematically fit into your coherent foundations for quantum physics?

Likes timmdeeg
Madeleine Birchfield said:
@A. Neumaier How does the reformulation of quantum mechanics and electroweak theory in terms of the Clifford algebra ##C(\mathbb{R}^{3,1})## (cf. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305483161_Geometric_Algebra_as_a_Unifying_Language_for_Physics_and_Engineering_and_Its_Use_in_the_Study_of_Gravity, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/252922221_Mysteries_and_Insights_of_Dirac_Theory, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/1739641_Gauge_Gravity_and_Electroweak_Theory) mathematically fit into your coherent foundations for quantum physics?
Here is a link to a presentation by Lasenby that needs no permissions to read.

His work is unrelated to interpretation questions, so I don't understand why you ask the question. Clearly, any mathematical tool consistent with standard quantum mechanics is also compatible with my coherent foundations. This includes geometric algebra.

A. Neumaier said:
Here is a link to a presentation by Lasenby that needs no permissions to read.

His work is unrelated to interpretation questions, so I don't understand why you ask the question. Clearly, any mathematical tool consistent with standard quantum mechanics is also compatible with my coherent foundations. This includes geometric algebra.

Perhaps this wasn't the right thread to put my question, but my question wasn't an interpretation question, but rather a mathematical question of how to derive the mathematics of the Clifford algebra formalism from coherent spaces and quantum spaces in section 5.2 and 5.3. I think now that they would instead probably introduce the Clifford algebra of an Euclidean or Hilbert space somewhere in chapter 4 on Euclidean spaces, and define linear operators and outermorphisms and their adjoint, definiteness, hermiticity, and positivity using Clifford algebra instead of matrices, as well as a scalar product of a Clifford algebra that corresponds to the inner product, from which the definitions of a coherent space and product and quantum space in Proposition 5.3.1 follow, but where the quantum space is usually a subspace of the Clifford algebra ##C(\mathbb{H})## instead of the Euclidean/Hilbert space ##\mathbb{H}##. From then, it would probably be simply a question of changing the notation from bra-ket notation to Clifford algebra notation.

Madeleine Birchfield said:
Perhaps this wasn't the right thread to put my question, but my question wasn't an interpretation question, but rather a mathematical question of how to derive the mathematics of the Clifford algebra formalism from coherent spaces and quantum spaces in section 5.2 and 5.3.
Since this is a technical question related to my book, and the answer is nontrivial, it is better to ask this at PhysicsOverflow, in the thread linked to as a comment, or as a separate question there.

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
Rather, the next level of naturally visualizable detail would be to think of the particle's world tube as being actually a moving cloud of mass (or energy, or charge, etc.), with mass density ##\rho(z)=\langle m\delta(x_k-z)\rangle## for a distinguishable particle ##k## inside a multiparticle system. For a single particle state, this would be ##\rho(z)=m|\psi(z)|^2##, recovering Schrödinger's intuition about the meaning of the wave function. Of course, this is already the field picture, just in first quantized form.

So could you say that ##\rho(z)=m|\psi(z)|^2## ( from post #273) means that the wavefunction(squared) represents the energy contained that makes up the mass according to E=mc^2, nothing else.

Last edited:
ftr said:
So could you say that ##\rho(z)=m|\psi(z)|^2## ( from post #273) means that the wavefunction(squared) represents the energy contained that makes up the mass according to E=mc^2, nothing else.
No. The Schrödinger equation is for non-relativistic QM, while Einstein's relation refers to the relativistic case only.

Moreover, the wave function also encodes phase information, and in the multiparticle case much more.

A. Neumaier said:
No. The Schrödinger equation is for non-relativistic QM, while Einstein's relation refers to the relativistic case only.
But if you take the integral of both sides then the integral of rho comes out to be m, what does that mean?
Of course I know the non relativistic vs relativistic(Schrodinger vs Dirac).

Last edited:
ftr said:
But if you take the integral of both sides then the integral of rho comes out to be m, what does that mean?.
It means that rho is the mass density, nothing more.

A. Neumaier said:
Mass density equals energy density, correct?

ftr said:
Mass density equals energy density, correct?
No, these are very different concepts, otherwise there wouldn't be two different names for them. For example, an electromagnetic field has zero mass density but usually a positive energy density.

Of course we are talking about massive particles. It just seems more intuitive to talk about energy density than mass density for a single particle. I hope some other people give us their two cents.

ftr said:
It just seems more intuitive to talk about energy density than mass density for a single particle.

As @A. Neumaier has pointed out, if we are talking about the Schrodinger equation, we are talking about non-relativistic QM, where mass-energy equivalence does not apply, so "mass density" and "energy density" are simply different things.

If you want to talk about the relativistic case, you'd be talking about quantum field theory, and the discussion would belong in a separate thread, not this one.

ftr said:
It just seems more intuitive to talk about energy density than mass density for a single particle.
It is also more intuitive to talk about temperature than about energy, but this does not make these concepts equivalent. There are good reasons why physicists use different names for different concepts.

A glass of water has a different mechanical energy density depending on whether it is still or stirred, but its mass density at its bottom does not change. There is no meaningful way to equate the two concepts.

Likes Demystifier and dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:

So what is this rho mass density, is it mathematical only or is it something real scattered across the space that makes up the electron/particle ,for example , does it represent the size of the electron(assuming some cut off in the function), or what?. I don't mind a long answer, I know you are very good at one liners answers.:smile:

A. Neumaier said:
There is no meaningful way to equate the two concepts.

I know you don't mean that E=mc^2 is wrong. I also know that they are used as different concepts but I don't understand your "no meaningful way".

Last edited:
ftr said:
So what is this rho mass density, is it mathematical only or is it something real scattered across the space that makes up the electron/particle ,for example , does it represent the size of the electron(assuming some cut off in the function), or what?. I don't mind a long answer, I know you are very good at one liners answers.:smile:
I know you don't mean that E=mc^2 is wrong. I also know that they are used as different concepts but I don't understand your "no meaningful way".
Mass density tells you how mass is distributed in space, while energy density tells you how energy is distributed in space.

E=mc^2 gives only one of many contributions to the relativistic energy density. The latter also contains kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, etc..

A. Neumaier said:
Mass density tells you how mass is distributed in space, while energy density tells you how energy is distributed in space.

E=mc^2 gives only one of many contributions to the relativistic energy density. The latter also contains kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, etc..

All that is well understood.
I was trying to understand something from your "interpretation"(which I personally think it is a new theory and a good one:smile:). Ok, I will be more blunt. Do you think Schrodinger's equation is correct? because I see that you seem to hint that the equation should be changed so that Psi itself carries the units of energy and so no more "interpretation" is needed. How close is my assessment?

Last edited:
ftr said:
Do you think Schrodinger's equation is correct? because I see that you seem to hint that the equation should be changed so that Psi itself carries the units of energy and so no more "interpretation" is needed. How close is my assessment?
Totally off the mark.

Schrödinger's equation ##i\hbar \dot\psi = H\psi## is fundamental and cannot be changed since it just says that the Hamiltonian is the generator of time translations.

For an n-particle system in the position representation, psi must have units length to the power -3n/2 as its squared modulus is a probability density.

This seems like a good time to close the thread.