The things people do

Danger

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Of course we were usually drunk and it was probably a much more dangerous stunt that we thought at the time. But I must say, it was almost like you were flying. It was incredible.
One of my same-generation friends, who just moved away, used to spend hours with me talking about earlier times, and we're both absolutely amazed at some of the stuff we lived through against all odds.

So speaking of which (and on topic for a change), there was a fellow in I believe Sweden who is considered the world's most unsuccessful suicide attempter. He tried to hang himself and the rope broke; he tried to shoot himself and the gun jammed; he tried poison and just threw it up; so he finally decided to try gassing himself. He settled in with his head comfortably ensconced in the oven, then after a couple of minutes of feeling okay, he decided to have a smoke while he waited. As soon as he struck the match, it blew all 4 walls out and the roof fell on him. Needless to say, he lived through it. :rolleyes:

SOS2008

Gold Member
Danger said:
One of my same-generation friends, who just moved away, used to spend hours with me talking about earlier times, and we're both absolutely amazed at some of the stuff we lived through against all odds.

So speaking of which (and on topic for a change), there was a fellow in I believe Sweden who is considered the world's most unsuccessful suicide attempter. He tried to hang himself and the rope broke; he tried to shoot himself and the gun jammed; he tried poison and just threw it up; so he finally decided to try gassing himself. He settled in with his head comfortably ensconced in the oven, then after a couple of minutes of feeling okay, he decided to have a smoke while he waited. As soon as he struck the match, it blew all 4 walls out and the roof fell on him. Needless to say, he lived through it. :rolleyes:
It sounds like Rasputen--Leave it to a man (and his hard head). :tongue: :rofl:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
Isn't that where the sail vehicles go? That seems like it would be so cool.

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/8813/11171mdisplay4ew.gif
Oh yes, and it was common to have two or three gyrocopters swoop down on you, or even to see a land speed record set by a jet or rocket powered car. Many records have been set at El Mirage.

SOS2008

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yes, and it was common to have two or three gyrocopters swoop down on you, or even to see a land speed record set by a jet or rocket powered car. Many records have been set at El Mirage.
Oooooh swooping - a PF convention at El Mirage! :biggrin: I wanna sail vehicle!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
I have said many times that I shouldn't be alive. My wife says that as well but with a disturbing longing in her voice. :uhh:

So speaking of which ... Needless to say, he lived through it. :rolleyes:
So at that point did he give up?

Danger

Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
I wanna sail vehicle!
Just take the extraneous contraptions off of your wheelchair and string a couple of your spare bras up on a stick... :biggrin:
That oughtta be good for some kind of record.

Danger

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
I have said many times that I shouldn't be alive. My wife says that as well but with a disturbing longing in her voice. :uhh:
:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
So at that point did he give up?
That's the last I heard of him. He spent a long time in hospital after the explosion. There were very serious burns, a couple of broken limbs, and head trauma. He probably just gave up and figured that living was easier. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Danger said:
He probably just gave up and figured that living was easier. :rolleyes:
Well that's his problem; he's a quitter! :biggrin:

SOS2008

Gold Member
Danger said:
Just take the extraneous contraptions off of your wheelchair and string a couple of your spare bras up on a stick... :biggrin:
That oughtta be good for some kind of record.
You just reminded me of another story (that fortunately didn't make the news). It was my birthday and some girlfriends and I had a limo for the night. The limo had a sun roof, and well, the girls started to take off their bras and were waving them out the sun roof. Some guys in a jeep pulled up and took one bra. Though laughing quite hard, I of course have it documented with photos--where did I put those?

Danger

Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
the girls started to take off their bras and were waving them out the sun roof.
Waving which?

SOS2008 said:
Some guys in a jeep pulled up and took one bra.
oh...

SOS2008 said:
Though laughing quite hard, I of course have it documented with photos--where did I put those?
Yes, please... where? If you don't want to post them here, you can e-mail them to me. :tongue2:

SOS2008

Gold Member
Danger said:
Waving which?

oh...

Yes, please... where? If you don't want to post them here, you can e-mail them to me. :tongue2:
Can't--what happens in birthday limo stays in birthday limo (otherwise known as the MAD spiral escalation policy).

Danger

Gold Member
SOS2008 said:
Can't--what happens in birthday limo stays in birthday limo (otherwise known as the MAD spiral escalation policy).
Hey, I've already developed my own visuals; I'm just looking for clarification on a couple of points. o:)