Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The third rock

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1

Gold Member

Life exisits on the third rock, maybe because of some exquisitve tuning of cosmological parameters, or maybe it is just a fact, so far life on the third rock is unique, so how safe is this (fact) (chance), given that migration to other planets is far in the future, what chance does life have, maybe the doomsday billboard guys have allways been right, it is just the date they give is wrong.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Life can survive under almost any conditions, including on volcanic vents, inside glaciers, and in outer space. And that's only the carbon-based types. I don't think that we have to worry about the universe becoming sterile. Human life, on the other hand... :uhh:
  4. Aug 25, 2006 #3
    If a person's death is the end of their consciousness of anything, which I think is the case, then the universe is effectively destroyed any time anyone dies. There's not even any consciousness left to be aware of the fact you're not conscious of anything.

That might seem an unpleasant thought, but really it's no different than things going back to the way they were before you were born.
  5. Aug 25, 2006 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All we are is dust in the wind.

Okay, I just made that up. :biggrin:
  6. Aug 26, 2006 #5

Gold Member

It sure is fair play to be an optomist, but what if the third rock is the only
    planet with life, should we not seek ways to preserve it ? The catastrophic
    end of earth is written, we only have a limited time to make our minds up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?