The third rock

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Life exisits on the third rock, maybe because of some exquisitve tuning of cosmological parameters, or maybe it is just a fact, so far life on the third rock is unique, so how safe is this (fact) (chance), given that migration to other planets is far in the future, what chance does life have, maybe the doomsday billboard guys have allways been right, it is just the date they give is wrong.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
Life can survive under almost any conditions, including on volcanic vents, inside glaciers, and in outer space. And that's only the carbon-based types. I don't think that we have to worry about the universe becoming sterile. Human life, on the other hand... :uhh:

If a person's death is the end of their consciousness of anything, which I think is the case, then the universe is effectively destroyed any time anyone dies. There's not even any consciousness left to be aware of the fact you're not conscious of anything.

That might seem an unpleasant thought, but really it's no different than things going back to the way they were before you were born.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
All we are is dust in the wind.

Okay, I just made that up. :biggrin:

wolram
Gold Member
Danger said:
Life can survive under almost any conditions, including on volcanic vents, inside glaciers, and in outer space. And that's only the carbon-based types. I don't think that we have to worry about the universe becoming sterile. Human life, on the other hand... :uhh:
It sure is fair play to be an optomist, but what if the third rock is the only
planet with life, should we not seek ways to preserve it ? The catastrophic
end of earth is written, we only have a limited time to make our minds up.