Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The thought of death ever hit you?

1. Aug 4, 2004 #1
    Do you ever visualize .. just dieing .. and nothing after.... you know... no rencarnation.. no after life... its just over.

Sometimes I wish I beleived in some of this stuff....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Funny, I think that I would prefer (for me) that there is nothing after you die, but for the ones I love, I want an afterlife for them so I can still feel that they are with me.

This really hit me recently when a close friend of my daughter's was killed when he tried to break up an argument between some kids. He was stabbed in the throat and died before the ambulance got there. I was thinking about how horrible his parents must feel, he had just turned 19 and I thought that they could at least feel some comfort knowing he was in heaven.

I think that we need some assurance of connection with loved ones we have lost. It is hard to come to terms with the person being gone forever.

4. Aug 4, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I took my physics class last quarter, my teacher was actually very metaphysical and he believed that "consciousness was conserved" and that we never truly die.
    Now I am taking philosophy and I expected my teacher to be very metaphysical and spiritual, but he's quite the opposite. He's a hardcore agnostic - borderline atheist.
    It just seemed kind of ironic to me that it turned out that way.

5. Aug 4, 2004 #4
    My ethics professor believed that nothing happens after death. And that we have no soul or spirit whichever you prefer.

I personally think that there is an afterlife.

6. Aug 4, 2004 #5
    Evo, why would anyone prefer there being no afterlife?

7. Aug 4, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'Cause if you're a bad girl (like Evo), the afterlife may not be a fun place. :wink::biggrin:

Evo, just kidding. You're among the nicest persons around and I've got nothing but good things to say about you. :smile:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2004
  8. Aug 4, 2004 #7
    Yes, I have thought about it. I do believe that there is an afterlife. Not necessarily a heaven/hell type place, but consciousness continueing I guess.

When you're good you're very very good, but when you're bad you're better? :wink: :smile:

Just kidding too, Evo.

9. Aug 4, 2004 #8
    A dream of a puppy born by a female dog
    Here is how he wishes:

I want to be a turtle, I dream of being a turtle all the time. I don' t know how to be a real one when I am uglier than the ugliest street walker, and i am a born animal which my ancestors are far away from today's turtle. so i wish that after death, there will be some magic able to turn me into a turtle instead of being a puppy of a female dog.
    This means animals also wish to have lives after death. I am dreaming too :redface:

10. Aug 4, 2004 #9
    What I meant is that if the thought of there being NOTHING at all after death ever hit you really hard?

I mean.. for all the religions.. not all can be right.. and if one of them was right.. what happens to the other millions of people that dont follow that religion? They all just go to hell? I mean the the 'hell'.

11. Aug 4, 2004 #10
    All religions can be right, just misinterpreted.

I am among those who think there might be some form of consciousness beyond our physical shape. Penrose talks about links between consciousness and quantum gravity, in the context of collapsing the wave function, so I am not ashamed to say it ! Yet, I am afraid that agnostic people won't care to participate the debate.

Maybe what happens to you when you die might just be what you beleive is gonna happen ! That would be the worse !

12. Aug 4, 2004 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ever saw Rowan Atkinson's devil act? http://www.rowanatkinson.org/devil_sketch.htm

He's sorting the people who get to go to hell or heaven..
    I just think we're all mortal.. from dust we came, to dust we will return..

13. Aug 4, 2004 #12
    What about "Din Din Bhar Ho Pyaari Baatein" !?

14. Aug 4, 2004 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Awww, thanks. :smile: You too Artman.

Recon, it depends on my mood I guess. I wonder sometimes if I'd want to spend eternity in any form. It would really depend on what that existence was. As for reincarnation, I don't care for starting over and over from scratch.

15. Aug 4, 2004 #14
    The only thing I've really thought about dying, I mean me dying, is that who would actually come to the funeral. I wonder about stuff like that.

16. Aug 4, 2004 #15
    I "dreamt" this morning about my last moments of consciousness while being incinerated by an atomic bomb (I live near Washington, DC). Great feelings of regret, humiliation and helplessness.

17. Aug 4, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe in an afterlife. I also believe that in some way we are accountable for our actions.

I think some of the most compelling arguments for an afterlife are found in the experiences of those close to death. I forget the name right now but a few years ago a very unusual book about death came out. It was written by primarily one hospice nurse, but the book includes contributions from many other nurses [dozens I think] as well. On one point made by the authors, the short of it is that dying people often see and speak with "people" from the beyond. Often specific information is given to the dying that proves that these are not just hallucinations; if the stories are to be believed of course.

Not only did this allegedly happen to a distant relative of mine [in Illinois] but it went on for a couple of months. By all accounts, nearly every day an angel visited Doris and talked with her, and gave her comfort, and helped to relieve the pain. Doris gave very detailed descriptions of the visitor and their conversations. She was told that she would die soon. No one had told Doris that she was dying. I really doubt that her daughter and the rest of the family would lie about all of this.

I was struck by one of the stories from the book. A dying woman would see a cat outside of her room. Every day she would see and call the invisible cat and try to coax it closer to her bed. Every day the cat apparently came closer and closer. The day she thought the cat had finally jumped onto the bed and sat in her lap, she died. She died while peacefully petting the cat.

One more comment on the book that I mentioned; the thesis of the book is most striking. What are the overall conclusions and perceptions of death from these caring, dedicated people who have seen more death than probably anyone else alive? The pain and suffering can be terrible, but in the very end death is often very peaceful and even beautiful. I still remember the exact quote: "Whatever you do, don't miss your own death". If at all possible one should try to remain awake and aware until the very end.

Quite a striking thesis!

I will try to find the name of that book again. I am drawing a blank but it sold quite well for a time. It might even be "Don't Miss Your Own Death" or something similar.

18. Aug 4, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hm, so if there were an afterlife.. wouldn't it be awfully busy? I'd like to have a talk with a neanderthaler :P Do other animals get to have an afterlife too? ..I'm skeptic.. :)

19. Aug 4, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Such earthly questions for such heavenly ideas.

I'm sure that your angel will answer any questions that you have. :biggrin:

20. Aug 4, 2004 #19
    Hi, im new to this forum, i think this thread is very interesting.

I just wanted to put my input,and say that i personally belief that there is life after death there is heaven and hell,and we will all be judged on judgement day...

I havent thought about death much at all, when I do think about death, the thought of me being put into a grave and having dust on me.. creeps me out, and i agree with ivan we are all accountable for our actions.

Every soul will die,and thats a reality so i guess when ever its our time to go we will go,its all in the controle of the creator...

well no,if there would be nothing after death? then whats the point of creation?

P.s this is a nice forum:)

21. Aug 4, 2004 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am pretty sure they do. I think my pets will be the first to greet me when I move over to the next world.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?