Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Thunderbird & Firefox appreciation thread

1. Apr 27, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Greg, in the words of Linus Torvald - "What have you been smoking?" Sure they are great apps and I use them everyday, but come on, a thunderbird and firefox appreciation thread. That has to be the lamest thing I heard all week. :wink:

4. Apr 27, 2004 #3
    hey its not too lame. I use firebird and thus it cannot be lame =). It's great and I advise anyone who is using IE switch to firebird.

5. Apr 27, 2004 #4
    Still using Firebird? Why not upgrade to Firefox? Actually, does anyone have the link to the plugin to change Firefox's name to whatever you want? Or where I can get the web developer toolbar for Firefox?

6. Apr 27, 2004 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Michael, just go to tools->options->extensions->get new extension

The program is called "Firesomething"

7. Apr 27, 2004 #6
    Thanks. I really should have switched from regular Mozilla to Firefox ages ago, it just feels so much cleaner. I found the web developer toolbar too, which is great since I like that one.

Is thunderbird highly recommended? Any better than similar programs?

8. Apr 27, 2004 #7

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I use thunderbird and I like it. If your on windows you can also try eudora.

9. Apr 27, 2004 #8
    The name has changed too much. I am using firefox. Like dduardo said, its firesomething.

10. May 3, 2004 #9
    Ever since I started using Firefox the hot babes just kept coming on to me. Thanks Firefox!

11. May 3, 2004 #10
    Argh, I can't get used to it! I've installed and uinstalled Firefox at least 4 times on this computer. I want to use it, but I dunno.

Like if I get a thing and want to watch a video that is streaming or whatever, do I have to load IE?

12. May 3, 2004 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Streaming media works fine in firefox. You must not be doing something right.

13. May 3, 2004 #12
    Oops, I didn't mean to imply that the media didn't work in Firefox, I had thought I read that Firefox was strictly a browser and didn't do all the less-common things that other web-browsers like IE do.

14. May 3, 2004 #13

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Huh? What less-common things?

15. May 4, 2004 #14
    Ok.. :)

I gave in and tried it out for more than 10 minutes. Now I love it!!

I have the Phoenity theme, and the Download Manager Tweak, Compact Menu and Clone Window extensions. I've got a neat little config with my menu bar, and amazon, dictionary, google and ircspy searches.

I really like it. I've adjusted to tabbed browsing, I really like it. I make a mistake sometimes and close all my tabs by accident by closing the browser, but it hasnt happened in a while. I like it. I like the bookmark thing, I've moved them around a bit, and how I can open an entire folder at once in different tabs... That is badass! Lighting fast, I'm liking this :)

16. May 5, 2004 #15
    the two programs are great, i use them both. hotmail cannot work in thunderbird though (atleast i don't know how to do it). this should get hotmail to have pop and smtp servers. just yesterday i learned that AOL did so themselves.

17. May 5, 2004 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I don't like thunderbird, I can't figure out how the hell to set the SMTP password. My server requires a specific name and password that are not the same as the POP3 username and password.

18. May 5, 2004 #17

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It will ask you for the smtp password the first time you try to send outgoing mail.

19. May 5, 2004 #18

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Nope. It just informs me that the server has denied access. Doesn't prompt me for a password or anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?