The Tiki Bar Comment Box

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do the chocolate afficionados here like Mounds or Almond Joy bars?

If so, one might like McRoberston's Cherry Ripes - cherry and coconut covered in dark chocolate. One of my favorite candy bars.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on Ginger Beers (not Ginger Ale)? I recently tried one by Goya, which was pretty good. However, there is one that I had years ago, but can't remember the name, which was the best I've ever had - it had a real 'kick' to it.

Also - Smoothies. There are different recipes and bases for smoothies - besides the ones used by Jamba Juice.

A friend at the Juice Caboose in La Jolla made great soothies with a banana base. He made an excellent tropical blend with banana, mango, papaya, some OJ and IIRC apple, and fresh ginger. He added extra ginger and it was incredible. :tongue2:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Not food related, but more along the lines of entertainment -

I received a copy of Christopher Paolini's "Eldest", the second book of three in the Trilogy "Inheritance". It's a story similar in many ways to Lord of the Rings, but Paolini provides a compelling story. He finished the first book "Eragon" when he was 20 years of age.

A young man, Eragon, finds a dragon, which he names Saphira, and sets off the overthrow the evil Galbatorix.

All this takes place in Alagaësia - www.alagaesia.com

More info at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragon

and if you are into this stuff - a Dragonrider's website - http://www.shurtugal.com/

and apparently there will be a movie, which is scheduled for release in June, 2006.

Astronuc! :mad: I made a thread specifically for book reviews! :tongue:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
TheStatutoryApe said:
Astronuc! :mad: I made a thread specifically for book reviews! :tongue:
Where? :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay barkeep, set me up with the strongest drink you have! I got through all of today's good-byes without breaking into tears, but it was close a few times (thank heavens we sat at an outside table so I could wear my sunglasses!) My boss and his wife, who is also a very good friend of mine, leave on vacation tomorrow, so even though tomorrow is really my last day, we did all the good-bye celebrations today. I'm going to miss this place...well, not so much this place (I keep learning more and more that tells me it's a good thing I'm getting out now), but the people I work with. I've really grown spoiled here with such great people to work with. :cry: :cry: :cry:

JamesU
Gold Member
Where are you going to be working now?

Mk
Astronuc said:
Not food related, but more along the lines of entertainment -

I received a copy of Christopher Paolini's "Eldest", the second book of three in the Trilogy "Inheritance". It's a story similar in many ways to Lord of the Rings, but Paolini provides a compelling story. He finished the first book "Eragon" when he was 20 years of age.

A young man, Eragon, finds a dragon, which he names Saphira, and sets off the overthrow the evil Galbatorix.

and apparently there will be a movie, which is scheduled for release in June, 2006.
So would you say its "that good?"

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yomamma said:
Where are you going to be working now?
Gosh, you should pay more attention. I've only been talking about it for about a month now. :biggrin: I'm moving to West Virginia...and still can't get that damned song out of my head..."Take me home, country roads..." It's driving me insane, but everytime I say the name of the state, that song spontaneously pops into my head again.

Astronuc said:
Where? :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86115 :wink:
It's still on the front page even!

Moonie said:
Gosh, you should pay more attention. I've only been talking about it for about a month now. I'm moving to West Virginia...and still can't get that damned song out of my head..."Take me home, country roads..." It's driving me insane, but everytime I say the name of the state, that song spontaneously pops into my head again.
Moonie's going to be a hot mountain momma.

wolram
Gold Member
wolram said:
MoonbearCongratulations now you must be extra careful
with moving stuff, no heavy lifting.
I entered the word "hot" in hopes that it wouldn't be taken that way. Thanks.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wolram said:
MoonbearCongratulations now you must be extra careful
with moving stuff, no heavy lifting.
Thanks woolie. I think I did the last of the heavy lifting last night getting some furniture I'm not moving out for the curbside donation program. :biggrin: (It amazes me the speed at which furniture disappears when left out at the curb.) I have movers coming to do all the other heavy lifting. I'm going to be so spoiled with this move!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have been looking for good Ginger Beers (much stronger than Ginger Ale). I had one some time ago, and it had a real bite to it. But I can't remember the brand. I have been drinking Goya Ginger Beer for a while and it's pretty good, but I am searching for the ultimate Ginger Beer.

I found one site on-line which lists various ginger beers and ales. I would appreciate any comments regarding taste and if any brands are available where any member resides.

GINGER BEER/ALES

And then I just found this one - Gillespies from Tasmania:
http://www.gillespies.alltasmanian.com/ [Broken]

I definitely have to get my hands on some of that.

I am also searching for the ultimate Root Beer and the ultimate Hot & Sour Soup. :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Buying a round for the house! :smile:

Celebrating 1 year at PF - which began Sep 7, 2004. :biggrin:

SOS2008
Gold Member
Sorry I've been gone so long, but...I've been working on the new floating Tiki Bar & Hotel!!! Here are the photos as we dock up at our first port of call...

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6211/fancyhotel16ub.jpg [Broken]
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4388/fancyhotel64uk.jpg [Broken]
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6951/fancyhotel77ge.jpg [Broken]

We were trying very hard to have the new Grand Opening in time for Astronuc's PF anniversary, but had a few complications (someone fell overboard, er, umm). Nonetheless, we offer a complimentary stay to Astronuc and his guest.

Now if you'll excuse me, someone put pirana in the dang fish tank...

Last edited by a moderator:
JamesU
Gold Member
woo woo!!! $400 a night!!! and we get to stay free!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow! SOS, I love what you've done with the place! Excellent lobster tank there. :approve: I think I'll put on my swimsuit and head down to that pool (or is it swimsuit optional?)

JamesU
Gold Member
OMG!!! I'm blind!!!

SOS2008
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Wow! SOS, I love what you've done with the place! Excellent lobster tank there. :approve: I think I'll put on my swimsuit and head down to that pool (or is it swimsuit optional?)
Thanks! As always I will be sporting my matching support hose and suit assemble. :tongue:
yomamma said:
OMG!!! I'm blind!!!
It appears you sat on your glasses. :uhh:

Evo
Mentor
Unfortunately alcohol is illegal in Saudi Arabia. :frown: It's going to be a dry tiki bar. :tongue: But it is a very cool hotel. :approve:

OH NO, they've arrested Moonbear!!! :surprised We're going to have to break her out of jail. :bugeye:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
OH NO, they've arrested Moonbear!!! :surprised We're going to have to break her out of jail. :bugeye:
:cry: When they showed up with the handcuffs, I thought someone hired a male stripper for me, so I went along with it. :cry: Get me out of here! ...or send me that stripper. :biggrin:

Evo
Mentor
Don't worry Moonbear, we're coming!!! Luckily SOS had the foresight to bring the Tiki Mobile along. (The male stripper is at the wheel)

All right we're going in, yes, through the wall!!!!

Stand back Moonbear and prepare to board as soon as we get inside.

Attachments

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
*crouches into far corner and covers ears* Bring on my stripper! :biggrin: