1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Times Higher Education Supplement

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1

i have to go so i dont have time, i tell you my thoughts about it later, in the meantime you can say what do you think of these rankings? :surprised , cam univ is first in science....
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2
    well, why shouldn't it be at the top of the list?

i don't understand those numerical scores. is caltech really half the school that cambridge is in science? :rolleyes:
  4. Jul 28, 2005 #3
    In every USA Today poll, Georgia Tech is always in the top ten for all of its engineering programs, frequently in the top 5, so I have a hard time believing that all of a sudden it isn't even a factor. I also have a hard time believing that a grade inflation beast like Harvard would be the "best school in the world".

My verdict is that this ranking is for the most part bunk.
  5. Jul 28, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To be asked of any such ranking... what are the criteria? and what weights are assigned to those criteria? and why? (In the page linked above, one finds http://www.duranhcp.com/world-rankings-16pages.pdf .)

It seems to me that if you ask the "right" questions and measure the "right" variables, you can get the "right" answers.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  6. Jul 28, 2005 #5
    Top schools are all difficult to enter...

By the way, could anyone post a link to rankings of different schools in the world on such a particular field as nature and life history, molecular evolution, computational biology or artificial life...? Is there such a link ?

(Oh, no no, no artificial intelligence)
  7. Jul 28, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Times Good University Guide, from which the rankings are taken, has been a long-standing, well respected and well recognised series of tables of performance. I'm not sure that it's available online for free.

All tables of rankings do, however, often give differing results based on the different criteria which they use to score the entrants.
  8. Jul 28, 2005 #7
    It is: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html.
  9. Jul 28, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The closest I can think of is here (post #4) : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76031

There are more specializations there that I have not linked to, that may be accessed by changing "xy" in the url www. stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/areaxy.html
  10. Jul 28, 2005 #9
    I tend to think that you have to compare two like things in a poll like this. Comparing a liberal arts school to a technical school would be like trying to compare Van Gogh's genius to Einstein's. There's not a valid point of comparison since they affect two different and likely disjoint groups.
  11. Jul 28, 2005 #10

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly. That's why the full rankings list excellence in each individual subject, both for learning and for research.

Oh, thanks for that Nylex.
  12. Jul 28, 2005 #11
    Statistics don't lie, but statisticians do.
  13. Jul 28, 2005 #12
  14. Jul 28, 2005 #13
    Thanks gokul43201, :wink:
  15. Jul 29, 2005 #14
    well, here in israel all of the researchers (most of them), post-grads opt to learn in the prestigious us universities, and seldomly if ever you hear of an israeli mathematician,physicist who learns or wants to learn at british universities such as oxbridge academics.
    it just reassures me that cam univ is not inferior (in science) from the top us univs.
  16. Jul 29, 2005 #15
    wow, that's weird. maybe it has something to do with funding issues.

...but i sincerely doubt that cambridge and oxford don't have sufficient funding.

maybe the israeli researchers just really like taco bell! :tongue:
  17. Jul 29, 2005 #16
    but dont get the wrong impression, there were physicists at england (like yakir aharonov known for aharonov-bohm effect) but as far as i know not at oxbridge (he learned at bristol univ).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?