Can a Train Break Through a Wall?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary: The wall might fall down. The train will definitely never run again.In summary, the train will win against a wall if it is in the UK, even leaves on the track can stop our trains. The wall will also win if it is in the UK, even leaves on the track can stop our trains, but braces and bits are so piccadilly.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
train vs wall question
(https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=88811)

Judging from the title alone, what is your reply to the thread?

I say train. I don't have much faith in the integrity of a wall built by someone who didn't even notice the train tracks. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, train wins.

Ever see that footage of jet fighter vs. wall? They were testing walls for nuclear reactors to prevent people from flying planes into them.

Anyway. The wall won.

The wall will win if it is in the uk, even leaves on the track can stop our
trains.

wolram said:
Why am i so average?
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

honestrosewater said:
train vs wall question

I say train. I don't have much faith in the integrity of a wall built by someone who didn't even notice the train tracks. :rolleyes:
If I'm the train, my response to the wall would probably be the same as the original poster, "sorry, won't do it again". :rofl:

The wall might fall down. The train will definitely never run again.

Edit: I don't have much faith in the integrity of a train bought by a railroad complany that would run their track into a wall. Did they at least paint a tunnel onto the wall?

Edit: Of course, I don't actually know what kind of wall. Which little pig built this wall?

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

Alan whickers. :tongue2:

BobG said:
Edit: Of course, I don't actually know what kind of wall. Which little pig built this wall?
The fifth one. I think he was German.

Another gost story.

Last edited by a moderator:
blinks...blinks...drools...blinks

honestrosewater said:
train vs wall question

To be honest, I just thought "Bang." (Actually, I thought "who in the bloody hell would build a wall over a train track, and then I thought "bang"".) I don't reckon there'd be an outright winner any more than if a kamikazee plane sunk a battleship.

1. What are the factors that determine the outcome of a train vs wall collision?

The outcome of a train vs wall collision depends on various factors, such as the speed and weight of the train, the material and strength of the wall, and the angle of impact.

2. Can a train ever win in a collision with a wall?

In most cases, a train will not win in a collision with a wall. The massive weight and speed of the train, combined with the relatively stationary and strong structure of the wall, make it unlikely for the train to come out on top.

3. How does the speed of the train affect the collision with the wall?

The speed of the train plays a significant role in the outcome of a train vs wall collision. The higher the speed, the greater the impact force, which can cause more damage to both the train and the wall.

4. What kind of damage can a train vs wall collision cause?

A train vs wall collision can cause extensive damage to both the train and the wall. The train can derail or suffer significant structural damage, while the wall can collapse or experience cracks and structural failure.

5. Are there any safety measures that can prevent a train vs wall collision?

There are several safety measures in place to prevent train vs wall collisions, such as warning signals and barriers at railroad crossings, speed limits, and regular maintenance and inspection of trains and tracks. However, accidents can still occur, so it is crucial to always follow safety protocols and be cautious around train tracks.