The toilet poll!

So, when you use the washroom, how do you leave the seat?

1. I leave the entire seat up!

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. I leave only the lower half down!

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. I close the seat/lid completely prior to flushing.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. I close the seat/lid completely, post flush.

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. So, when you use the washroom, to do either number 1, or number two, how do you leave the toilet seat?

(I'll explain why I ask, later!)

2. jcsd
  3. This toilet poll stinks...

Are we talking about at home or someplace else?

I always put the lid back on top of the 5-Gallon bucket (I'll try not to mention corn cobs)!!

Actually, I clean up the bowl and make sure the seat is placed down (to keep unfortunates from falling in the thing accidentally, especially at night).

Remember: if you sprinkle when you tinkle be a sweety and wipe the seaty.

4. where is the option for "wherever it was when you were done using it"?

5. Usually I just leave the seat up since I live on my own; however, whenever I have guest (particularly girls), I tend to lower the toilet seat and lid all the way. Guess its just a courtsey issue.

6. Left that one off as it usually isn't always in the appropriate position when starting.

Sign in the host's bathroom, "We aim to please, you aim too please!"

7. Re: This toilet poll stinks...

And, "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" (water conservation rules)

8. Nice of you , but I am sorta looking for a little more then just a "courtesy issue"

9. I wondered if we were getting kinda slow around here. Now after seeing this post, I have my answer

10. YUP!! real evidence of just how quickly things get "flushed out" isn't it!! [?]

11. *turns green with envy*

Now that's super stylish !

I think I may have guessed where this thread is going...

12. Re: *turns green with envy*

Actually I had done this to tell of the researcher who had researched this and found that when a toilet is flushed the swirling water "atomizes" and sends out a very fine mist/spray of bacterally laden moisture.
    Apparently this "bacteria laden moisture" arises from the toilet bowl, then settles upon everything, and anything, that is in your bathroom....your toothbrush, face-cloth, towels, etc. etc.

It was to this I had meant to address the issue, and the resultant idea that the best thing to do, with any, and every toilet seat (that you have chance to employ) is to close the lid completely prior to flushing, hence eliminating that debate 'tween males and females about "half down", (bottom half only, Female) "none down" (whole seat in up position, Male) seat arrangement.

So away we go, can we flush out further comments?

EDIT SP!

13. Hmmm, I didn’t know anything about what you mentioned, I thought it was going to be about snakes or sewer rats coming up out of the toilet.
    The "bacteria laden moisture" scenario sounds particularly nasty, but better the underside of the toilet lid than your toothbrush. Maybe I'll go back to 5-gallon buckets again, haha

14. megashawn

megashawn 506
    Science Advisor

I couldn't remember the cool jingle about peeing on the seat, so here's one about using a convient store restroom:

If you have to crap, dont use the seat, the crabs in here jump 20 feet.

For a time I use to leave the seat down, but here recent with woman wanting to open there own doors and such, I wonder why they can't raise the seat for us?

And that is interesting, and uhh, nasty about the bacteria thing. Wouldn't a bowl sanitizer take care of that problem though? You know, the things that make the water blue.

15. As far as I know spraying water into the air helps to kill bacteria, (%? <100%?) as it is employed as a useful form of water sanitation, just that, even dead bacteria can invoke a "pyrotogenic (pyro/fire + genisis/start) reaction" as the cells walls of the dead bacteria still have the protien coat and can still induce a fever from the human bodies immune reaction to what it will still recognize as "foriegn".

It will not particularily give you an actual cold or flu, but it can still produce fever.

The "blue stuff" I suspect is effective, but it might just "aerosol" along with the rest of the contents of the bowl, so some of that would join the (now dead?) bacteria/germs that will settle within the space that they aerosol in.

Sound tasty? brush your teeth, and find out??

16. if we're tlaking public i leave the bottom seat down only but ofcourse makesure i have sufficently coverd it with urine...

17. So that was YOU in the washroom, with the urine, that slid the butler off the seat, and crashed him into the library floor, holding the candlestick, that slew the attendant.
    I never had a clue!

18. The only thing that has (sorta) bugged me about this entire "Toilet poll" thing, I cannot remember the name of the researcher who clearly deserves the credit for having figured it out!

19. I saw him interviewed on TV in the late 1980s. He was a first-rank
    germophobe, the type of guy who
    opens doors with a tissue.

He may never suffer from a bacteriological infection but
    you could see his Blood Pressure
    was working on a really big
    aneurism for him.

20. Quite possible, but as I recall, the one that I had read, had been published in the Newspaper mid, to late 90's.
    (Possibly from Mc Gill University??)

One stat I had heard was something along the lines of if you cleaned all of the bacteria off of yourself, (your skin) 'cept one, within 24 hrs, you would have the equivalent of the number of humans on the planet, as bacteria, back (reborn) on your skin. Neat eh??

21. And some people claim they don't
    have any pets!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?