The Toppling of a transmitter mast

In summary: Theta is the angle between the ground and the transmitting mast, mg is the mass of the transmitter mast, and 9.81 is the speed of light.
elivian
About a week ago a big transmitter mast has fallen. The transmitter mast was about 100 meters high, is it possible to calculate how long it took before it touched the ground without knowing it's weight? The time starts as soon as the mast starts falling. I need the answer for my school exam and since I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the net I hope you can help solve this...

(the air friction is negligible as well as the thickness of the mast)

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing exactly HOW it fell it's impossible to say. Certainly one can calculate that the time required for an object to fall directly down from 100 m (ignoring air resistance) is [itex]\sqrt{200/9.8}[/itex] which is about 4.5 seconds.

Let's assume it was just nearly standing sraight upright when it fell. The bottom of the mast is the center of rotation. So the top will move in a quarter of a circle to the ground.

I did some calculations, in the end I found this formula but I don't know if it's correct/fully correct.

9.81 * cos(h) = a

the h is the angle between the ground and the transmitting mast
the a is the acceleration at a specific point (h)

I guess this is not all, isn't it?

The problem is that the time it takes to fall depends critically on the initial deviation of the tower from its vertical position. You'll find that as the initial deviation is made arbitrarily small the time it takes to fall becomes arbitrarily large.

And what if the mast starts at 45% with no speed? Is there any formula about this all?

Since this will just be a start for a formula about a chain of toppling domino's I need to a formula for the falling of a domino or comparable a transmitter mast...

Yes, it can be done but it's not really trivial!

If the base is fixed at a point and R is the distance from the base to the center of gravity of the transmitter then the torque is [itex]\tau = -R mg \cos \theta[/itex]. But this is equal to the moment of inertia (I) times the angular acceleration so that
[tex]I \frac {d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = -R m g \cos \theta[/tex]
which you will need to solve to find the time it takes to fall. Basically, it's like a pendulum with very large amplitude.

The latex graphics won't load, i tried to deciver the formula but it's too difficult, what's theta? what's mg mass * 9.81? Can you please explain it in a easy way?

1. What caused the transmitter mast to topple?

The most likely cause of a transmitter mast toppling is strong winds or severe weather conditions. It could also be due to structural damage or incorrect installation.

2. How does the toppling of a transmitter mast affect communication?

The toppling of a transmitter mast can disrupt communication in the affected area. It can cause signal loss or interference, resulting in communication disruptions for businesses and individuals.

3. What safety measures are in place to prevent a transmitter mast from toppling?

Transmitter masts are designed and built to withstand strong winds and harsh weather conditions. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections are conducted to ensure the structural integrity of the mast.

4. Can a transmitter mast be repaired or rebuilt after toppling?

Yes, a transmitter mast can be repaired or rebuilt after toppling. The extent of the damage will determine the course of action, and it may take some time to restore full functionality.

5. How can the toppling of a transmitter mast be prevented in the future?

To prevent a transmitter mast from toppling in the future, proper installation and regular maintenance are essential. Additionally, conducting risk assessments and implementing safety measures such as guy wires and lightning protection can help minimize the risk of toppling.