Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The torque of rotating disc

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    Hello All!

I have one machine. The disc (Horizontal place) is rotating and connecting to the shaft which is connecting to gear box and ac motor.

I would like to k now the torque of rotating disc for some interval such as 10s, 20s, 30s, to take reading , but I do not have money to buy torque meter.

I would like to know can I use tachometer to take the rotation speed of rotating disc within interval, 10s per taking.
    And then I can use T= I x aplha to find the different time's torque reading

Please advise me.
    Or could you please give me another ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That's an extremely rough way to do it. If you were to go that route, I would recommend that you reduce that 10 sec interval to less than a second. If you can sample the speed quicker, say 10 Hz or better, you will have a better resultant calculation of the torque, especially if you are trying to see the result of an applied load.

Without proper instrumentation, I don't see how you're going to get any better results that easily.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook