The Trouble With the World

• Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date
In summary, Bertrand Russell's quote suggests that intelligent people are doubtful and the stupid are cocky, and this has adverse effects on the world.
avant-garde
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

What is your take on that quote?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure.

You never can say something is certain. I'm sure of that. :rolleyes:

Thats a really good quote... got to love Russell.

I would agree that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are doubtful (now i am wondering whether these are prerequisite qualities respectively, what do other people think?), and it definitely does have adverse effects on the world.

But saying "The trouble with the world is that..." kind of implies its the ONLY thing, which i would have to think about a lot longer to see if i agree with.

-Spoon

I think the problem is defining what (intelligence) one needs to run the world.

wolram said:
I think the problem is defining what (intelligence) one needs to run the world.

Some emotional intelligence. What needed is some confidence to sway masses of people.

avant-garde said:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

What is your take on that quote?

I wasn't familiar with that quote, and I'm grateful to be introduced to it. I've often felt very similar things myself, but not been able to express it so articulately!

A closely related point is that people tend to gather support according to their level of confidence because it is assumed to indicate their level of ability, but confidence can also be related to their level of ignorance.

waht said:
Some emotional intelligence. What needed is some confidence to sway masses of people.

We've seen people in the past sway masses (mmm, I come close to Godwin here...) and it wasn't always such a good thing...

I was out with some friends last night and one of them actually said something to the effect of 'he's such a great speaker, he could convince me to do anything'.

Last edited by a moderator:
vansesch, I've been held back by that very problem when trying to describe the current US political situation.

you guys are talking about groupthink. Groupthinkers are usually very certain,

Does confidence not require a certain level of cocksuredness? (if that is a word).

-Spoon

A confident unscrupulous sales man would not need confidence in the product he was selling,
to buy from him one would have to inspect the goods very carefully.

I do not know how one would inspect a promise.

1. What is "The Trouble With the World"?

"The Trouble With the World" is a concept that refers to the various issues and problems that exist in our society and affect people's lives. These can include social, political, economic, and environmental problems that have a negative impact on individuals and communities.

2. What are some examples of "The Trouble With the World"?

Examples of "The Trouble With the World" can include poverty, inequality, discrimination, corruption, climate change, and war. These are just a few of the many issues that plague our world and cause widespread suffering and hardship.

3. What causes "The Trouble With the World"?

There is no one single cause of "The Trouble With the World." Instead, it is a complex and multifaceted issue that can stem from a combination of factors such as greed, power imbalances, lack of education and resources, and systemic injustices. These factors can vary depending on the specific issue at hand.

4. How can we address "The Trouble With the World"?

Addressing "The Trouble With the World" requires a collective effort from individuals, communities, governments, and organizations. This can involve implementing policies and programs that promote equality and justice, advocating for systemic change, and taking action to protect the environment. It also requires individuals to educate themselves and actively work towards creating a better world for all.

5. Can "The Trouble With the World" be solved?

While it may not be possible to completely eradicate all the problems in the world, it is possible to make significant progress towards addressing them. By working together and taking action, we can create a more equitable and sustainable world for future generations. It will require ongoing effort and dedication, but it is certainly achievable.