The truth owners

• News
  • Thread starter Burnsys
  • Start date
russ_watters
Mentor
jammieg said:
Here is a story in USA Today by Greg Toppo about government manipulation of the populace.
Toughie: I see journalistic ethics (oxymoron?) issues there and possibly an allocation of funds issue with the government paying him for it. There is, of course, nothing wrong with the government sponsoring advertising campaigns, but to do it in an underhanded way may be an issue.

Frankly, I see this as more of an ethics issue for the journalist than for the gov't (and if its not a conflict of interest for the journalist, it can't be for the government).
Anyway it's all lies for the greater good right?
Where in that article did it say anything about lies?
Do you think it's right to accept money from government for telling others about this "something you believe in" sort of thing?
Whether from the government or from Merck, it is unethical if you're a journalist to do so. If you're just a random celebrity, there is, of course, nothing wrong with it. That's why I'm not sure about this: is this guy actually a "journalist" or just a talk-show host, and is it possible/ethical to be both at the same time?

From the article:
Williams, 45, a former aide to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, is one of the top black conservative voices in the nation. He hosts The Right Side on TV and radio, and writes op-ed pieces for newspapers, including USA TODAY, while running a public relations firm, Graham Williams Group.
Op-ed pieces aren't news, but still, it seems to me the guy may be trying to play both sides. Its a fine line, that many (if not most) on-air personalities try to tow. I'm sure you've all heard radio personalities doing little plugs for various products on their shows.

Last edited:
jammieg
And here's today's repsponse from that story:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-08-williams-folo_x.htm

Near the bottom of the story it talks about how our government used a similair method or what they sometimes call "permissible use of taxpayer funds under legal government contracting procedures." to promote medicare and recieved a scolding from the accountability department- oh my goodness.

Williams says today, "...My judgment was not the best. I wouldn't do it again, and I learned from it."

Like how to make a quick retiremnet fund for yourself by selling out the people who trust and believe in you?
You would think if he actually meant it he would give the money back, I mean that's generally what people do when they learn from their mistakes is correct them, not say a bunch of words to make things appear ok, but then it only takes about $500 to give most poeple a clear conscience.

Last edited by a moderator: