Turing Test: Respectful Criticism and Cultural Differences

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of Turing and his work, particularly the Turing Test. The speakers discussed the potential bias in the test due to cultural differences and the difficulty in identifying a machine as different from humans. They also questioned the belief that appearing human-like is a mark of intelligence and pondered the possibility of our reality being a simulation. Overall, the conversation touched on the limitations and implications of the Turing Test.
GlenLaRocca
TL;DR Summary
Turing
Summary: Turing

I have great respect for nearly all of Turing's work but as for the Turing Test I have a lot of problems. My life has taken me through many layers of the socio-economic spectrum, and I have learned a few things about my fellow humans that Turing may not have had the "privilege" of learning. I am pretty sure Turing had a bias having been around very educated people all of his life. In particular, I wonder, how many pairs of random humans, would identify the other random human as a human, in the test, given the range of cultural differences. Given cultural differences, I would think the number of humans that declared their human counterpart to be non-human counterpart rather high. Even in America we are so divided that we don't see how each other thinks--I can barely talk to my Trumpian brother. Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
Computer science news on Phys.org
GlenLaRocca said:
Summary: Turing

I have great respect for nearly all of Turing's work but as for the Turing Test I have a lot of problems. My life has taken me through many layers of the socio-economic spectrum, and I have learned a few things about my fellow humans that Turing may not have had the "privilege" of learning. I am pretty sure Turing had a bias having been around very educated people all of his life. In particular, I wonder, how many pairs of random humans, would identify the other random human as a human, in the test, given the range of cultural differences. Given cultural differences, I would think the number of humans that declared their human counterpart to be non-human counterpart rather high. Even in America we are so divided that we don't see how each other thinks--I can barely talk to my Trumpian brother. Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.
This is so obviously a computer generated post.

Likes russ_watters, BillTre, hmmm27 and 2 others
Aliens?

It would not surprise me if many things like Siri could fool many people into thinking Siri is human.

A.T. said:
This is so obviously a computer generated post.
The entire internet is an AI simulation run for my amusement. None of you are real.

Likes anorlunda and BillTre
GlenLaRocca said:
Humans are all so different, that makes finding a machine that is different much more difficult.
Agreed. And just how arrogant do we have to be to believe that appearing [culturally similarly] human is a mark of intelligence? I have a spreadsheet program that can do millions of lines of arithmetic per second - I'd have to make it several orders of magnitude dumber to seem human - why would I want that?

The anti-Turing test:
Are you Human?
No.
Prove it.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
Isn't the difference between our physical understanding of the universe and a simulation just that they just run on different hardware. Both would be equally real. You are an implementation snob. One extra layer of hardware between you and the simulation and you think you are superior. You know your reality could be a simulation too. The people running your reality simulation could also be a simulation too. I just figured-out quantum mechanics got to go.
russ_watters said:
The entire internet is an AI simulation run for my amusement. None of you are real.

Likes russ_watters
GlenLaRocca said:
Isn't the difference between our physical understanding of the universe and a simulation just that they just run on different hardware. Both would be equally real. You are an implementation snob. One extra layer of hardware between you and the simulation and you think you are superior.
Maybe, but the difference I see is that I know my computer is hardware, and I know it runs software/simulations. It's not just "extra".

Did the OP have a question?

nomadreid said:
I think it is more of a comment on how he believes that cultural differences should be, but are not, considered when designing a Turing test.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
I think it was more of a demonstration. He hoped to fool us, but @A.T. caught it right away.

What is the Turing Test?

The Turing Test is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. It was proposed by Alan Turing in 1950 as a way to measure a machine's level of artificial intelligence.

How does the Turing Test work?

The Turing Test involves a human evaluator who communicates with both a human and a machine through a text-based interface. If the evaluator is unable to distinguish the responses of the human from that of the machine, the machine is considered to have passed the test.

What is the purpose of the Turing Test?

The purpose of the Turing Test is to determine whether a machine has reached a level of artificial intelligence that is indistinguishable from a human. It is also used as a benchmark for measuring the progress of AI development.

What is the role of respectful criticism in the Turing Test?

Respectful criticism is an important aspect of the Turing Test as it allows for the evaluation of a machine's ability to respond to feedback and improve its responses. It also helps to identify areas where the machine may need to improve in order to pass the test.

How do cultural differences impact the results of the Turing Test?

Cultural differences can impact the results of the Turing Test as different cultures may have different expectations for what constitutes intelligent behavior. This can lead to varying interpretations of the responses given by the machine, making it more difficult to determine if the machine has truly passed the test.