The UFO Napster

• Thread starter Sting
  • Start date

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Frederick Valentich Disappearance, Bass Strait - October 21st, 1978

During the evening of October 21, 1978, twenty year old Australian Pilot Frederick Valentich disappeared over Bass Strait, while flying from Melbourne's Moorabbin Airport to King Island, off the coast of Victoria. His last communication occurred at 7:12 p.m., during the largest UFO flap in Australian history. Nearly fourteen years after that fatal Saturday evening, no trace has ever been found of either the pilot or his blue and white Cessna model 182 aircraft.

During my travels and correspondence, I have found many false stories circulating around the world regarding this most important case. I have found that these inaccurate statements are coming from individuals at home and abroad. These are people who live thousands of kilometres from the scene where the action took place, newcomers to the field, journalists who write about everything and are experts on nothing except misquotations and out of context reporting and last but not least, "Professors of Impossibility" from the scientific community who have concocted preconceived opinions and have tried to make their ideas fit around them.

Frederick Valentich was not the only person who reported a strange object over and near Bass Strait that day and night. Researchers have found over fifty reported observations in that area which occurred before, during and after his encounter. Most of this information would never have been found without the diligence of researchers from the Victorian UFO Research Society, based at Moorabbin, near the location from whence the mysterious flight originated.

ACTUAL TRANSCRIPTION OF MELBOURNE FLIGHT SERVICE
The transcript portion of the communication between Valentich and Melbourne Flight Service as released by the Australian Department of Transport follows: (FS - Flight Service, DSJ - Frederick Valentich aircraft designation).

1906:14
DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known traffic.
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I am, seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand.

1906:44
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, What type of aircraft is it?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, I cannot affirm, it is four bright, it seems to me like landing lights.

FS Delta Sierra Juliet.

1907:31
DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet, the aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, and it is a large aircraft, confirmed?
DSJ Er-unknown, due to the speed it's travelling, is there any air force aircraft in the vicinity?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, no known aircraft in the vicinity.

1908:18
DSJ Melbourne, it's approaching now from due east towards me.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet.

1908:41
DSJ (open microphone for two seconds.)

1908:48
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, it seems to me that he's playing some sort of game, he's flying over me two, three times at speeds I could not identify.

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what is your actual level?
DSJ My level is four and a half thousand, four five zero zero.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, and you confirm you cannot identify the aircraft?
DSJ Affirmative.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, stand by.

1909:27
DSJ Melbourne, Delta Sierra Juliet, it's not an aircraft it is (open microphone for two seconds).

1909:42
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, can you describe the -er- aircraft?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, as it's flying past it's a long shape (open microphone for three seconds) cannot identify more than it has such speed (open microphone for three seconds). It's before me right now Melbourne.

FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger and how large would the - er - object be?

1910:19
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne, it seems like it's stationary. What I'm doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me also. It's got a green light and sort of metallic like, it's all shiny on the outside.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet

1910:46
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet (open microphone for three seconds) It's just vanished.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet

DSJ Melbourne, would you know what kind of aircraft I've got? Is it a military aircraft?
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, Confirm the - er ~ aircraft just vanished.
DSJ Say again.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, is the aircraft still with you?
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet; it's (open microphone for two seconds) now approaching from the south-west.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet

1911:50
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet, the engine is rough-idling. I've got it set at twenty three twenty-four and the thing is coughing.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what are your intentions?
DSJ My intentions are - ah - to go to King Island - ah - Melbourne. That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again (open microphone for two seconds). It is hovering and it's not an aircraft.
FS Delta Sierra Juliet.

1912:28
DSJ Delta Sierra Juliet. Melbourne (open microphone for seventeen seconds).

No official conclusion has been given for the strange sound which was heard that interrupted the last statement of the pilot. [CONTINUED]
Please see this link for more information:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~vufors/valentich.htm

Edit: Until now I had never seen an official source or even a report number listed for this story. I would like to get an official source for this, such as gov.au, or mil.au, or whatever is appropriate down under, if anyone has one or knows where to look.

...The only official report to emerge on the affair was an Aircraft Accident Investigation Summary Report, reference No. V116/783/1047. The basic relevant events and transcript of the conversation between Valentich and Robey - a "radio encounter of a weird kind" - included in the report are given here...
http://www.project1947.com/forum/bcoz6.htm#dsj

A fascinating and perplexing event if the story is accurate.

Last edited:

mouseonmoon

and try this: from Bruce Maccabee
The Not Famous NEW ZEALAND FLASHING LIGHT film! (Not famous because it wasn't publicized.) ..... in December, 1978? ..... The New Zealand sightings may be the most "instrumented" in civilian ufology, with multiple witnesses, TWO INDEPENDENT TAPE RECORDINGS MADE DURING THE SIGHTINGS(!), 16 mm color movie film and ground and air radar.......the so called SQUID BOAT sighting.

http://brumac.8k.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Senator Russell's UFO: Soviet Union, 1955

One of the most powerful U.S. senators in modern history actually eye-witnessed two UFO's while on a fact-finding trip through Russia in 1955-and the U.S. government kept the sightings a secret for more than three decades. The incredible encounter is detailed in 12 TOP SECRET CIA, FBI, and Air Force reports-and declassified in 1985. Those startling reports reveal that Senator Richard B. Russell, Jr. (D-GA)-then chairman of the Armed Services Committee-was on a Soviet train when he spotted a disc-shaped craft taking off near the tracks. He hurriedly called his military aide and interpreter to the window-and they saw the UFO, plus another one that appeared a minute later. The astonished trio reported the sightings to the U.S. Air Force as soon as they were out of Russia.[continued]
http://ufocasebook.com/senatorsrussia.html

For the original CIA reports, go to the following link and see the docs dates dated 10/1, and 10/20/55:
http://www.foia.cia.gov/search.asp?pageNumber=9&freqReqRecord=undefined&refinedText=undefined&freqSearchText=undefined&txtSearch=UFO&exactPhrase=&allWords=&anyWords=&withoutWords=&documentNumber=&startCreatedMonth=&startCreatedDay=&startCreatedYear=&endCreatedMonth=&endCreatedDay=&endCreatedYear=0&startReleasedMonth=&startReleasedDay=&startReleasedYear=&endReleasedMonth=&endReleasedDay=&endReleasedYear=0&sortOrder=ASC

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ike and the Alien Ambassadors

In spite of appearances I don't promote any ET hypotheses, but this is an interesting and amusing story.

The Whole Tooth About the President's Extraterrestrial Encounter

By Peter Carlson
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, February 19, 2004; Page C01

Fifty years ago tomorrow -- on Feb. 20, 1954 -- President Dwight Eisenhower interrupted his vacation in Palm Springs, Calif., to make a secret nocturnal trip to a nearby Air Force base to meet two extraterrestrial aliens.

Or maybe not. Maybe Ike just went to the dentist. There's some dispute about this.

The Ike-met-with-ETs theory is advanced by Michael Salla, a former American University professor who now runs the Peace Ambassador Program at AU's Center for Global Peace.

The Ike-went-to-the-dentist theory is advanced by the folks at the Dwight D. Eisenhower Library in Abilene, Kan. And by James M. Mixson, a dentist, professor of dentistry and historian of presidential dental work.

Just to make things more intriguing: On the night in question, the Associated Press reported this: "Pres. Eisenhower died tonight of a heart attack in Palm Springs."

Two minutes later, the AP retracted that bulletin and reported that Ike was still alive. [continued]
http://www.exopolitics.org/Wash-Post-Ike%20and%20ETs.htm [Broken]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fire Officers’ Guide to Disaster Control

A commonly referenced item in the UFO lore, the origins of the UFO section for firefighters is revealed. It is noteworthy that many skeptics claimed that this chapter was a forgery, or that no such book even exists. Clearly they didn't really know.

Deerfield Twp. Fire Rescue Chief Bill Kramer is the co-author of a 1992 manual that serves as a guide for fire departments in disaster control. Along with Charles Bahme, Kramer penned a chapter in the manual Fire Officers’ Guide to Disaster Control on how fire departments should react if a UFO lands.

...Kramer said fire rescue personnel would be the first called if a UFO lands. Although there have not been any real encounters with UFOs, Kramer said the chapter essentially deals with panic control. He said there have been a number of incidents over the years that have induced panic. [continued]
http://www.pulsejournal.com/news/content/news/2004/12/09/pj1209japantv.html [Broken]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Jim Ragsdale Story

Statement Validity Analysis of ª The Jim Ragsdale Story :
Implications for the Roswell Incident

JAMES HOURAN
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry
P. O. Box 19230, Spring® eld, IL 62794-9230

STEPHEN PORTER
University of British Columbia, Department of Psychology
2509-2136 W. Mall, University Campus
Vancouver, B. C. V6T 1Z4

Abstract: The Jim Ragsdale Story purports to be the only known firsthand testimony to the alleged UFO crash near Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. This testimony, in the form of an affidavit and a less formal conversational account, was analyzed using Statement Validity Analysis (SVA) which is an established technique for evaluating the credibility of forensic witness accounts, and Fact Pattern Analysis which is a less formal procedure that complements SVA. SVA indicated that the testimony was not consistent with known features of memories for true events. Similarly, the fact pattern analysis identified major factual inconsistencies as well as potential implausible information. These findings suggest that ª The Jim Ragsdale Storyº is not credible. Accordingly, the possibilities that the Ragsdale story represents a deliberate fabrication or sincerely reported memories of imagined experience are discussed. [continued]
http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse/articles/pdf/12.1_houran_porter.pdf [Broken]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
College Students' Attitudes Toward Ufo's Surveyed

College Students' Attitudes Toward Ufo's - Polling Data - Statistical Data Included

College Student Journal, March, 2000 by Frank Biasco, Kelly Nunn
Save a personal copy of this article and quickly find it again with Furl.net. Get started now. (It's free.)

The present study investigated college student's attitudes toward UFO's. The sample consisted of 269 college students at a "deep south" university randomly selected after being stratified for gender and race. The instrument consisted of a Likert-type, three-point scale with `agree', `neutral', and `disagree' options containing 18 statements dealing with UFO issues. While the expectation was that the student population would have different attitudes toward UFO's because of the conservative nature of the region, the results actually showed that the college student's attitudes towards UFO's were largely the same as those of the general population. [continued]
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCR/is_1_34/ai_62839406

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Listing of Classified and Restricted Documents

http://www.thememoryhole.org/mil/afhra/

Listing of Classified and Restricted Documents at the Air Force Historical Research Agency

Over 500,000 documents cover almost every aspect of US military
history from the 1920s to the early 1980s

[...]

Among the many, many areas covered are World War II, the
Vietnam War (including Laos and Cambodia), the Korean War, the
Cold War, the Balkans, specific aircraft and weapons systems,
histories of bases and squadrons, accidents, nuclear weapons,
chemical and biological warfare, space exploration, satellites,
UFOs, NATO, and NORAD.

[...]

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Secret Cia Ufo Files

The Central Intelligence Agency says it has finally come clean about UFOs. To absolutely no one's surprise, it knew more than it ever let on.
"Over half of all UFO reports from the late 1950s through the 1960s were accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights," says Gerald K. Haines, a historian for the National Reconnaissance Office who studied secret CIA UFO files for an internal CIA study that examined the spy agency's involvement in UFOs through the 1990s.

Why lie about UFOs? "The Soviets could use UFO reports to touch off mass hysteria and panic in the United States and overload the U.S. air warning system so that it could not distinguish real targets from phantom UFOs," Haines says. [continued]
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=426532#post426532

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The June Crain Story. [note: This story is confirmed my multiple sources as well as by audio excerpts from the actual interview]

This is the transcript of the interview that I held with June Crain1 in her home at 896
Catala Ave. SE Ocean Shores, WA 98569 on June 27, 1997. At the time of this
interview June was 72 years old and she had outlived two husbands and survived
two bouts with cancer.

The tape of the interview was transcribed by Mary Sullivan, who was working as a secretary
in the Grays Harbor County Prosecutor’s Office. She completed this transcription on her
own time. It was completed within two weeks of the time of the interview.
Right after we conducted this interview June contacted her attorney, Scott Sage, and he
prepared a notarized affidavit for her, granting me the rights to her life story. She did this
without my knowledge.

June Kaba was a well-known philanthropist in her community of Ocean Shores,
Washington. She led a charity campaign that succeeded in raising funds to build a new
library. I met her in 1993 after giving a UFO lecture in the new Ocean Shores Library, a
bright modern building that existed largely due to her efforts.
She approached me afterwards and told me that I was right — that our Government does
know much more than it ever says publicly about UFO’s. I asked her how she knew this.
She said, “Because I worked there.” I asked her for details and she said, “I can’t tell you —
they’ll come and arrest me.” I asked her to remember me if she ever changed her mind.

Four years later I learned that she had made inquiries about me. She decided that I could be
trusted not to arrest her once I knew her story, even though I was a detective sergeant for the
Aberdeen Police Department at the time.

She was most proud of her work for the US Government as a civilian employee at Wright-
Patterson Air Force Base from 1942 to 1952. Her pride and loyalty were the causes of her
dilemma—She was bound by her loyalty oath and yet she had no tolerance for deception by
anyone, more especially any official, at any level of government, as some questionable local
politicians had learned to their regret.

June was angry because of what she perceived as a great hypocrisy, that on the one hand the
existence of UFO’s is officially denied, and yet in classified laboratories where she worked,
she overheard scientists and engineers discussing artifacts and bodies from recovered,
crashed UFO’s. She believed that the public deserves to be told the truth. [continued]
http://www.majesticdocuments.com/pdf/crain_clarksoninterview.pdf

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The UFO Napster has been reorganized, consolidated, and updated with new links and information. If you are looking for something that seems to have disappeared, it is likely on the first page. Also, some sites previously linked no longer exist.

I will be adding more over the next few weeks, but the major revisions should be about done.

At least until the details of this event are sorted out, we have our latest Napster entry:
The O'Hare UFO: November, 2006
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=150266

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Jacques Arnould, an official at the National Space Studies Centre, said the French database of around 1,600 incidents would go live in late January or mid-February.

He said the CNES had been collecting statements and documents for almost 30 years to archive and study them. [continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16392923/

Advances in technology over the past three decades had prompted the decision to put the archive online, he said, adding it would likely be available via the CNES Web site.
http://www.cnes.fr/

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Documentaries and Investigative Reports

I will be adding here for some time. Please feel free to post any videos of interest to the Napster. They will be added to this post if they are of sufficient quality. Please limit submissions to the best journalistic efforts.

A number of the links are no longer any good but they are left as a reference. These are some of the better videos that you will find about the subject.

UFOs: The Secret Evidence: [1:41:32]
Nick Cook is a British journalist and author of fiction and non-fiction works. He has been associated with Jane's Defence Weekly for a number of years as Aviation Editor and currently as Aerospace Consultant and has won four writing awards from the Royal Aeronautical Society. His two novels are Angel, Archangel (1990) and Aggressor (1993).[continued]
- Wiki -

In this report, Nick Cook investigates the possiblity that the Foo Fighters of WWII were part of a secret, German, research program. Then he considers Roswell, the Soviet's X-Files, and much of the UFO phenomenon as a function of secret US techonology programs; of the intent to ulitilize the UFO phenomenon for military purposes - to further perpetuate the UFO myth as part of both a CIA psychological warfare program, and as an effort to mask secret US technology as alien spacecrafts. He goes too far at times but all in all he does a decent job.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-834605691449249469&q=UFO [Broken]

Unsolved Mysteries: The Belgium UFO Wave of 1991: [19:26]
Includes testimony from officials regarding the military’s encounter
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8637560020988011597&q=UFO [Broken]

Out of the Blue: [1:29:12]
A nice review of a few highlights from the case files: Malmstrom AFB, Big Sur missile test filming, Bentwaters AFB, Iran ’76 F4 encounters, a bit about Soviet UFO encounters, The Condon Report, The COMETA report and more.

Also, comments by: Presidents Ford and Carter, Dr. Sturrock on the Condon Report, Ed Mitchell, Gordon Cooper, Allan Hynek makes his famous swamp gas statement, Phillip Corso – former Chief of Foreign Technology at the Pentagon, Congressman Schiff on Roswell, Admiral Lord Hill Norton – former Chief of the British Defense Staff and others well known to the UFO community
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5594744703753734741 [Broken]

Pilot UFO Encounters: [43:43]
With Dr. Richard F. Haines: Retired NASA senior research scientist; Ames Research Center; Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science
FAA released audio recordings and other documented UFO encounters reported by commercial pilots. Supporting case files are available from other sources.

Illinois 2000, multiple police sightings: [45:09]
Police from four departments and other witnesses observe a large, triangular UFO, over Illinois
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6483818398061077731&q=UFO [Broken]

A follow-up to the Illinois sightings: Witnesses take a polygraph exam [nominated by PIT2]. I checked on the polygrapher who appears to be a credible expert.
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=1862693385446435991 [Broken]

Unsolved Mysteries: Kecksburg, Pennsylvania "UFO Crash”, 1965
Examines the question of what, if anything, came down near Kecksburg, Pennsylvania, on Dec 9th, 1965.
Part 1 [7:44]
Part 2 [4:30]
Part 3 [7:38]

RAF Woodbridge/Bentwaters AFB, 1980: [22:27]
Video testimony and a reenactment of events as described by military personnel, in which numerous UFOs were observed at close range on several occasions. The official documents for this event are found in the second [NSA] and sixth [MOD] posts in this thread.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3492503939374176165&q=UFO+1980+Bentwaters+Woodbridge [Broken]

Sightings: Iran 1976, F4 Encounters [12:38]
Video testimony and a reenactment of events - with contributions from the Iranian Government - in which two F4 fighter jets had a close encounter with a UFO that affected weapons, navigation, and communications systems. The official NSA document for this event is found in the second post of this thread.

Ohio, 1994: Trumbull County police UFO chase
Part one: [7:17]
Part two: [5:49]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4j_IXubcoU&mode=related&search=

A nice contribution from PIT2
UFO Sightings by Pilots [31:22]
Video testimony with some original audio transmissions from commercial pilots. Also, Soviet UFO reports are discussed.
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=8223834376829088502 [Broken]

Secrets of the Ancient World: [40:01]
Exotic to mundane explanations are considered for ancient claims of unexplained encounters. I know that many of the events cited are a part of the historical record, but the interpretations or suggested context for any story may or may not be wildly inaccurate.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-166600271442873025 [Broken]

Related to the video above, see also Alexander the Great versus ET

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The UFO hall of fame and hall of shame
http://www.ufowatchdog.com/

I agree with much but not all of what is said there. I agree entirely with the shame list.

Last edited: