Uncertainty Operators in Nouredine Zettili's Book

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of uncertainty operators in Nouredine Zettili's book. The operators are defined as \DeltaA = A - <A>, leading to an expectation value of zero. The question arises as to why the uncertainty is not defined as A ~ <A>, using the "difference operator" instead of the "subtraction operator." The conversation also touches on the meaning of the delta sign in equations.
Seanskahn
Hello community.

My second stupid question.

In the book by Nouredine Zettili , the uncertaintie operators are defined as [tex]\Delta[/tex]A = A - <A>, where A is an operator, and <A> = <[tex]\psi[/tex]|A|[tex]\psi[/tex]> , with repect to a normalized state vector |[tex]\psi[/tex]>

i was wondering, why is not the uncertainty defined as: A ~ <A>, i.e., the ~ (difference operator) in place of the - (substraction operator)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sean_s.

sean_s said:
i was wondering, why is not the uncertainty defined as: A ~ <A>, i.e., the ~ (difference operator) in place of the - (substraction operator)

What is 'difference operator' ? What is the definition?
Regards.

sweet springs said:
What is 'difference operator' ? What is the definition?
Regards.

difference opearator is simply as follows:

(a~b) = |a-b| , i.e. the absolute difference.

That definition says that the expectation value for the "uncertainty" for an arbitrary state is zero

DeltaA = A - <A> --->

<DeltaA> = <psi| A |psi > - <A><psi|psi>
= <A> - <A> = 0

By the way do you have a reference for the definition of the "difference operator"?

nnnm4 said:
DeltaA = A - <A> --->

<DeltaA> = <psi| A |psi > - <A><psi|psi>
= <A> - <A> = 0

thats right
the expectation value of [tex]\Delta[/tex]A (which you write by <DeltaA>) IS zero ... remember expection value of the uncertainty is NOT the uncertainty.

the difference operator i learned in the elementary school

There's only one operator in a Hilbert space (and thus in the QM mathematical formalism): the difference of 2 arbitrary operators (as opposed to the sum of 2 operators). You denote this operation by the sign "-" called "minus".

this may seem a stupid question. but in an equation, wat does the delta sign mean?

In this context, nothing. [itex]\Delta A[/itex] should be interpreted as a single symbol.

bigubau... THANKS! - I am sooo stupid, i did not notice that part

all others, thanks for the contributions

1. What are uncertainty operators in Nouredine Zettili's book?

Uncertainty operators in Nouredine Zettili's book refer to mathematical operators that describe the uncertainty or imprecision in measuring certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum, in quantum mechanics.

2. How are uncertainty operators used in quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty operators are used in quantum mechanics to mathematically represent the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the precise position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

3. What is the relationship between uncertainty operators and uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is mathematically represented by the uncertainty operators in quantum mechanics. These operators are used to calculate the uncertainty or imprecision in measuring certain physical quantities.

4. Can uncertainty operators be measured directly?

No, uncertainty operators cannot be measured directly. They are mathematical constructs that describe the inherent uncertainty or imprecision in measuring certain physical quantities in quantum mechanics.

5. How do uncertainty operators affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they help us understand and quantify the inherent uncertainty in measuring physical quantities at the quantum level. They also provide important insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle.