Normal Velocity Gradient Across a Surface: Proving a Result

In summary: Excellent. Now if you draw a vector at time ##\delta t## between the first material point and the second material point, and another vector between the first point and the third material point, in terms of the unit vectors in the three coordinate directions, what is the equation for each of these two vectors?
Apashanka
Homework Statement
Unit normal to a surface
Relevant Equations
Unit normal to a surface
I have came across a problem where each point of a surface parallel to the x-y cartesian plane and having it's normal along the z axis is having velocity along the z direction ##v_z## and there exists a velocity gradient across the plane (e.g ##v_z(x,y)## ,
After time ##\delta t## it is written the normal to surface will be ##n'=\hat k-(\hat iv_{zx}+\hat j v_{zy})\delta t## where ##v_{ij}=\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial x_j}## and ##\vec r'=\vec r+\vec v \delta t##.
Can anyone please help me out how to proceed to prove this result...

Physics news on Phys.org
What surface is this supposed to be normal to?

Chestermiller said:
What surface is this supposed to be normal to?
The surface which is initially parallel to x-y cartesian plane having it's unit normal along ##\hat k## and after ##\delta t## having unit normal along n'

Imagine a rectangle comprised of material points at time zero, with coordinates along the edges (x,y,z), ##(x+\Delta x, y, z)##, ##x,y+\Delta y, z)##. What are the coordinates of these same three material points at time ##\delta t##?

Last edited:
Likes Apashanka
Chestermiller said:
Imagine a rectangle comprised of material points at time zero, with coordinates along the edges (x,y,z), ##(x+\Delta x, y, z)##, ##x,y+\Delta y, z)##. What are the coordinates of these same three material points at time ##\delta t##?
Is this rectangle expanding ,if so then in which direction??

Chestermiller said:
If the rectangular points are having velocity ##\vec v(x,y,z)## then ##(x,y,z)## becomes ##(x+v_x(x,y,z)\delta t,y+v_y(x,y,z)\delta t,z+v_z(x,y,z)\delta t)##
Similarly other coordinates also change ##x+\Delta x+v(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t,y+v_y(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t,z+v_z(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t##

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
If the rectangular points are having velocity ##\vec v(x,y,z)## then ##(x,y,z)## becomes ##(x+v_x(x,y,z)\delta t,y+v_y(x,y,z)\delta t,z+v_z(x,y,z)\delta t)##
Similarly other coordinates also change ##x+\Delta x+v(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t,y+v_y(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t,z+v_z(x+\Delta x,y,z)\delta t##
I thought you said that the velocity is only in the z direction. If that is the case, then these results are not correct.

Likes Apashanka
Chestermiller said:
I thought you said that the velocity is only in the z direction. If that is the case, then these results are not correct.
If it is so then the three points will become ##(x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t)
(x+\Delta x,y,z+v_z(x+\Delta x,y)\delta t)
(x,y+\Delta y,z+v_z(x,y+\Delta y)\delta t)##
Now they are not in the plane parallel to the x-y cartesian plane
Then sir how to find the unit normal as I asked in the first post??

Apashanka said:
If it is so then the three points will become ##(x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t)
(x+\Delta x,y,z+v_z(x+\Delta x,y)\delta t)
(x,y+\Delta y,z+v_z(x,y+\Delta y)\delta t)##
Now they are not in the plane parallel to the x-y cartesian plane
Then sir how to find the unit normal as I asked in the first post??
Please be patient. Now, what are the coordinates of the three points if we now make the approximations: $$v_z(x+\Delta x,y)=v_z(x,y)+\Delta x\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}$$ and $$v_z(x,y+\Delta y)=v_z(x,y)+\Delta y\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}$$

Likes Apashanka
Chestermiller said:
Please be patient. Now, what are the coordinates of the three points if we now make the approximations: $$v_z(x+\Delta x,y)=v_z(x,y)+\Delta x\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}$$ and $$v_z(x,y+\Delta y)=v_z(x,y)+\Delta y\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}$$
##(x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t)
(x+\Delta x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}\Delta x \delta t)
(x,y+\Delta y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}\Delta y\delta t##

Apashanka said:
##(x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t)
(x+\Delta x,y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}\Delta x \delta t)
(x,y+\Delta y,z+v_z(x,y)\delta t+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}\Delta y\delta t##
Excellent. Now if you draw a vector at time ##\delta t## between the first material point and the second material point, and another vector between the first point and the third material point, in terms of the unit vectors in the three coordinate directions, what is the equation for each of these two vectors?

Likes Apashanka
The two vectors are then
## \Delta x \hat i+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}\Delta x\delta t \hat k##
##\Delta y \hat j+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}\Delta y\delta t\hat k##

Apashanka said:
The two vectors are then
Excellent. Now, we are trying to find an equation for the normal to the plane in which these two vectors lie. How is the cross product of two vectors related to the plane in which the two vectors lie? So what is the cross product of these two vectors?

Likes Apashanka
Apashanka said:
The two vectors are then
Yes sir now if we consider a vector ##p=a\hat i+b\hat j+c\hat k## perpendicular to the plane containing this two vectors ,then dot product of ##\vec p## with these two vectors is 0 and using this case ##\vec p=c(\hat k-\hat iv_{zx}-\hat j v_{zy})## for which unit normal ( ##\hat p) ## has terms in denominator ,how to get rid of this??

Apashanka said:
Yes sir now if we consider a vector ##p=a\hat i+b\hat j+c\hat k## perpendicular to the plane containing this two vectors ,then dot product of ##\vec p## with these two vectors is 0 and using this case ##\vec p=c(\hat k-\hat iv_{zx}-\hat j v_{zy})## for which unit normal ( ##\hat p) ## has terms in denominator ,how to get rid of this??
Don't worry about that for now. Please continue with answers to my questions in post #13.

Apashanka said:
Instead of working with the dot product of your normal vector with each of the vectors in the plane, you could instead calculate the cross product of your two vectors in the plane. The result will be a vector that is perpendicular to each of the two vectors in the plane. It would then be a fairly simple task to normalize the result to get the unit vector you want.

Likes Apashanka
Chestermiller said:
Excellent. Now, we are trying to find an equation for the normal to the plane in which these two vectors lie. How is the cross product of two vectors related to the plane in which the two vectors lie? So what is the cross product of these two vectors?
Cross product
##-\hat i v_{zx} \Delta x\Delta y \delta t-\hat j v_{zy}\Delta x\Delta y\delta t+\hat k\Delta x\Delta y ##

Factor out the delta x and delta y. Then normalize to obtain a unit vector. Then linearize with respect to delta t.

Likes Apashanka
Chestermiller said:
Factor out the delta x and delta y. Then normalize to obtain a unit vector. Then linearize with respect to delta t.
Yes sir then how to normalise it ??there remains term in the denominator...

Apashanka said:
Yes sir then how to normalise it ??there remains term in the denominator...
The denominator has a term proportional to delta t squared. When you linearize, this term is dropped.

Likes Apashanka
Yes sir got it...
Thanks a lot...
Yours,
@Apashanka

1. What is a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a specific point and has a magnitude of 1. It is often used in mathematics and physics to represent the direction of the surface's normal force.

2. How is a unit normal vector calculated?

A unit normal vector can be calculated by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors to the surface at a specific point and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a magnitude of 1.

3. What is the significance of a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector is important because it helps determine the orientation of a surface and is used in various mathematical equations to calculate surface area, curvature, and other properties of the surface.

4. Can a surface have multiple unit normal vectors?

No, a surface can only have one unit normal vector at a specific point. However, different points on the surface may have different unit normal vectors.

5. How is a unit normal vector used in real-world applications?

A unit normal vector has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics to determine lighting and shading on a 3D surface, in engineering to calculate stress and strain on a material, and in physics to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface.