Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B The universe and everything

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    Thinking about 'everything' out there and the more and more convoluted way we have to arrange our maths and physics to explain the universe. I am starting to wonder if it's our brain is at fault. The human brain can only think in 3 dimensions maybe 4 with time, but that is one-directional, backwards. Now if we could instinctively think in more the 3 dimensions wouldn't it make thing a lot simpler to explain the universe. E.g. string theory etc etc?
    BTW And the answer isn't 42!! I'm ready again to be shot down in flames!
    As for support of this "Leonard Susskind - Why does mathematics work? - Differential Equations in Action" see

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2
    Maybe. Maybe not. :smile: I'd say it depends on the Universe. The Universe as we know it seems to have 3 spatial and 1 temporal dimensions. There are no compelling experimental evidence of anything else, yet.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    It's an age old question: did we invent math, or did we figure it out?

We probably won't know until we meet someone else. The fact that physics is so elegantly described by maths makes me believe it's a fundamental part of the universe in some way.

Humans only have experience with physicality in 3D, but lots of us think in higher dimensions all the time, just not in the way you're thinking.

Code (Text):
    char pixelData[texture][mipmap][x][y][rgba]
    Is a 5D object that someone like me has no trouble visualizing and manipulating mentally.

5. Jan 10, 2017 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We think in 3+1 dimensions because of perceptual constraints. If thinking in higher dimensions conferred any tangible survival advantage, we could reasonably expect ourselves, and other animals, would already have so adapted. None apparently have, therefore it is safe to assume 3+1 is entirely sufficient for survival purposes.

6. Jan 13, 2017 #5
    Yes I can understand that we think in 3d because that is what we experience, and yes we can think in more that 3d if we practice. But that wasn't the original question, it was, if we thought in more than 3d would it make maths and physics simpler?

7. Jan 14, 2017 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would really complicate differential equations. I consider higher order integrals worse than an ice cream headache.

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7
    maybe not, maybe it would make things a lot simpler

9. Jan 14, 2017 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is just an opinion unless you can show it mathematically. PF is not big on opinions, so how about you SHOW it mathematically? How about with a higher order integral, as @Chronos suggested?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. Jan 14, 2017 #9
    Well I would like to know why Pi keeps showing up in places that have nothing to do with circles and lines.

11. Jan 14, 2017 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's actually a secret plot by us engineers and physicists to drive mathematicians crazy. Don't tell anyone.

12. Jan 14, 2017 #11
    Well this just an opinion Too !!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted