Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Universe In A Nutshell

1. Apr 12, 2003 #1
    The "Universe In A Nutshell" (okay, for all you picky people out there, I know I shouldn't have underlined and quoted the title to be grammatically correct...) is an excellent book for an intermediate learner of theoretical physics. And that's what I dislike about the book, it'd be hard to understand for people who have little background in physics. Believe me, I tested it on my sister. Anyhow, it uses great anologies, and Stephen Hawking (the author) consistently describes things from quite a few views: Positivist, and non-positivist, are the most common ones.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2003 #2

Eh

Honestly, I got the book for the pictures. Good reference when discussions about concepts that make you go "huh?" come up.

4. May 21, 2003 #3
    I like books like these...they give an interesting 'layman' level overview, and can entertain more knowledgable folks too. Plus, it can lead to interesting further reading.

5. Jun 2, 2003 #4
    i liked it. it gives an easy and very broad description of everything. i'd reccomend Mr. Hawkings other books, though. primarily "A Brief History of Time".

6. Sep 7, 2003 #5
    I've only read 34 pages so far (and had a look at other pages and read some of those too ), but I can say that it's an excellent book for high school students like me, although there are some things mentioned in the book that I didn't quite understand (BTW neither did my physics teacher :wink:)

7. Sep 13, 2003 #6
    I first read the book before having any real structured learning on the subject and found I did understand most of it, I enjoyed it as well. Recently, I've gone back and read it again and found deeper meanings into somethings, and full understanding in others. It's really multi-leveled as to the writing.

8. Sep 19, 2003 #7
    I got this book late last year, and read it in just over a day. Great book, great pics, great writing style..... Need I say more?

9. Sep 19, 2003 #8
    That's quite the accomplishment! The book took me a little over a week to read the first time around.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook