1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Universe In A Nutshell

1. Apr 12, 2003 #1
    The "Universe In A Nutshell" (okay, for all you picky people out there, I know I shouldn't have underlined and quoted the title to be grammatically correct...) is an excellent book for an intermediate learner of theoretical physics. And that's what I dislike about the book, it'd be hard to understand for people who have little background in physics. Believe me, I tested it on my sister. Anyhow, it uses great anologies, and Stephen Hawking (the author) consistently describes things from quite a few views: Positivist, and non-positivist, are the most common ones.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2003 #2

Honestly, I got the book for the pictures. Good reference when discussions about concepts that make you go "huh?" come up.
  4. May 21, 2003 #3
    I like books like these...they give an interesting 'layman' level overview, and can entertain more knowledgable folks too. Plus, it can lead to interesting further reading.
  5. Jun 2, 2003 #4
    i liked it. it gives an easy and very broad description of everything. i'd reccomend Mr. Hawkings other books, though. primarily "A Brief History of Time".
  6. Sep 7, 2003 #5
    I've only read 34 pages so far (and had a look at other pages and read some of those too ), but I can say that it's an excellent book for high school students like me, although there are some things mentioned in the book that I didn't quite understand (BTW neither did my physics teacher :wink:)
  7. Sep 13, 2003 #6
    I first read the book before having any real structured learning on the subject and found I did understand most of it, I enjoyed it as well. Recently, I've gone back and read it again and found deeper meanings into somethings, and full understanding in others. It's really multi-leveled as to the writing.
  8. Sep 19, 2003 #7
    I got this book late last year, and read it in just over a day. Great book, great pics, great writing style..... Need I say more?
  9. Sep 19, 2003 #8
    That's quite the accomplishment! The book took me a little over a week to read the first time around.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?