Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The unparticle snowball

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1

arivero

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

kdv

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4
    Or UNcredible.

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

Demystifier

Science Advisor

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

arivero

Gold Member

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7
    I won't start a new thread, but can someone explain this unparticle stuff to me. I read part of Georgi's paper. This is my take on the part I read, please correct me since I know I'm wrong.

What is a particle? In particle physics you consider cross sections of scattering events. You have some set of non interacting in particles they do something and you calculate the cross sections of the non interacting out particles. What could be argued is that the whole definition of a particle is truly dependent on the non interacting part. That is the thing of importance is the fields and particles are just the states created by the asymptotic limits of these fields.

Now, how do you define fields? Fields that create massive timelike particles are defined by how they transform under the poincare group. Massless null particles have a larger isometry group which is the poincare and the conformal group. The conformal group is usually scale invariant.

Is what Georgi is saying is that there may be fields that transform locally under conformal symmetries that do not represent the fields of particles?

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8
    conformal group is scale invariant.

10. Mar 11, 2008 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I guess I have jumped into it too late. :cry:
    But we will see, it's only two months old. I am the first who states explicitly that unparticle is actually a particle. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?