Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The US military role in Iraq has officially ended

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/15/us-exit-iraq-withdrawal-ambivalence?newsfeed=true

For the US, IIRC, ~4500 dead, 30,000 injured, 1.5 million have served with perhaps 810,000 suffering from PTSD, and about $1 trillion in financial costs.

When the war started, I had been traveling extensively and needed a long break. I got home just in time to watch the invasion on TV. Not long after we took the palace, I joined PF.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Not to mention somewhere between 100,000 and 1,000,000 dead Iraqi citizens.

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

And how many refugees that were driven to other countries due to religious differences?

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Link? I heard estimates a year ago saying such claims were wildly exaggerated and the WHO puts the estimate near 25k. I need to look for that study.

Edit: Nevermind, found a linking putting it around 250k "violent deaths" since 2003.

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5

Ryan_m_b

I gather that there are several million Iraqi refugees worldwide.
    The IBC lists roughly 100,000 and there are various other sources such as the lancet that suggest body counts of hundreds of thousands more, some estimating up to near 1,000,000.

I'm not vouching for the validity of any of these claims specifically, just pointing out that they are there.

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know you were talking about citizens, but in regards to Iraqi sodiers, during the invasion I got up every morning at 4AM to watch the Pentagon briefing. At one point it appeared that we eliminated somewhere around 100,000 soldiers [perhaps twice as many] with a single wave of heavy bombs. When the announcment was made, the room fell dead silent. Even the brass looked shocked.

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/military/jan-june08/warcost_03-26.html [Broken]

http://www.iraqfoundation.org/news/2003/ajan/2_whitehouse.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Dec 15, 2011 #8
    We also enhanced Iran's influence in the country and the region.

10. Dec 15, 2011 #9
    From Ivan's link:

I wonder if this is a serious possibility.

11. Dec 15, 2011 #10
    The story you linked to is titled:

"US exit from Iraq: 'this is not a withdrawal, this is an act on a stage'"

based on this quote:

We have 15,000, what are they, embassy guards, that will remain?

12. Dec 15, 2011 #11

rhody

Gold Member

An observation, why isn't this thread in P&WA, unless putting it there would result in a thread lock in short order. :redface: :blushing:

Rhody...

13. Dec 15, 2011 #12

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

From here this thread appears to be in the P&WA thread. For what reason would this thread be locked in short order? Guessing maybe I am totally naive and am missing the significance of :redface: and :blushing:?

14. Dec 15, 2011 #13

Evo

The thread has just been moved to P&WA. Rules in P&WA are stricter than in GD.

15. Dec 15, 2011 #14
    .. or people tend to be more fierce in P&WA :rofl:

"The Bush administration deserves credit for its long-term commitment to democracy in the Middle East. But even a good idea can be spoiled by clumsy execution. Worse still, the idea can backfire -- particularly if people come to suspect that ulterior motives are at work."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/08/opinion/the-wrong-way-to-sell-democracy-to-the-arab-world.html

:rofl:

16. Dec 15, 2011 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't care to create a thread meeting the P&WA guidelines, which it didn't and doesn't.

17. Dec 15, 2011 #16
    I got to watch the invasion on t.v in bootcamp! Also had a front row seat in the Gulf in 95 and 98.

18. Dec 16, 2011 #17
    I was glued to the TV during Gulf War #1. CNN's on the spot coverage completely changed the experience of war for people who weren't actually there. It was surreal.

19. Dec 16, 2011 #18
    Please move the thread back to where discussion is allowed. I guess GD stands for general discussion.

20. Dec 16, 2011 #19

Ryan_m_b

I don't get what you mean here, all subforums allow discussions. This one is here for Politics and World Affairs. As such it is appropriate.

21. Dec 16, 2011 #20
    As I said, please move it back to the place where the rules are less strict. You and Evo see this differently. You say equal rules she says not equal rules???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook