The usage of a Hydrogen sensor

In summary, hydrogen is transparent to IR radiation, so it cannot be detected using IR sensors. However, if H2 is detected using IR sensors, it may be because it has been catalytically oxidized, which requires the sensor to be warm.
Aya ElElbshihy
Hi all
My mainly question is about why we won't be able to detect Hydrogen as Ex. gas using IR technology sensors?
Also, I'd like to know if H2 would be detected using IR senosor?
I need to know what is the equivalent technology for this purpose too?
Thanks
Ay ElEbshihy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really understand all you are saying (what is an "Ex. gas"?), but I can tell you that H2 is transparent in the infra-red.

• Informative
Likes Aya ElElbshihy
To be more specific, when a homonuclear diatomic molecule like H2 vibrates, there is no change in dipole moment, therefore nothing for an oscillating electric field (EM radiation) to couple with to cause absorption. So H2 doesn't absorb infrared radiation. (The same is true of O2 and N2, which is why we don't have a runaway greenhouse effect.)

• Informative
Likes Astronuc and Aya ElElbshihy
DrClaude said:
I don't really understand all you are saying (what is an "Ex. gas"?), but I can tell you that H2 is transparent in the infra-red.
1st thank you for your reply
I mean in an Explosion proof area like petroleum sector companies
You explained that H2 is transparent in the IR so what is the another solution to avoid this point
Thank you

mjc123 said:
To be more specific, when a homonuclear diatomic molecule like H2 vibrates, there is no change in dipole moment, therefore nothing for an oscillating electric field (EM radiation) to couple with to cause absorption. So H2 doesn't absorb infrared radiation. (The same is true of O2 and N2, which is why we don't have a runaway greenhouse effect.)
What is the another solution to avoid this point
Thank you

It shouldn't be hard for you to google "hydrogen gas detector"

Likes Nik_2213
IIRC, there's two temperature sensitive resistances, one coated with a catalyst, run side-by-side in a bridge arrangement. Catalysed, any hydrogen reacts with ambient oxygen, alters its leg's temperature and resistance, unbalances the bridge...

Similar tech checks for 'general flammable vapour', such as methane etc and toxic gas such as Carbon monoxide. But, because such are less responsive to ambient catalytic oxidation, they may need to be warmed. Think how car exhaust catalysers don't work well until hot enough...

The extra circuitry and protocols for self-testing and maintenance of such safety-critical equipment is well beyond my amateur reading.

FWIW, some of our hydrogen-flame GCs had an internal leak sensor, which had to be replaced at service intervals as air pollution progressively poisoned the active surface.

Um, also Google 'Faraday Lamp'...

Aya ElElbshihy said:
I mean in an Explosion proof area like petroleum sector companies
You explained that H2 is transparent in the IR so what is the another solution to avoid this point
Thank you
Honeywell makes a variety of gas sensors, including sensors for hydrogen. Catalytic and electrochemical sensors are used to detect hydrogen, and they require oxygen.
See Chapter 10, starting on page 36, and see Table on page 43 in
https://www.honeywellanalytics.com/~/media/honeywell-analytics/documents/english/11296_gas-book_v5_0413_lr_en.pdf?la=en-gb

1. What is a Hydrogen sensor and how does it work?

A Hydrogen sensor is a device used to detect the presence of hydrogen gas in an environment. It works by measuring the concentration of hydrogen gas in the air and converting it into an electrical signal that can be read and interpreted by the user.

2. What are the common applications of a Hydrogen sensor?

Hydrogen sensors are commonly used in industrial settings, such as chemical plants and refineries, to monitor for leaks of hydrogen gas. They are also used in fuel cell vehicles to detect hydrogen gas leaks. Additionally, they can be used in laboratories to detect the presence of hydrogen gas in experiments.

3. How accurate are Hydrogen sensors?

The accuracy of a Hydrogen sensor can vary depending on the type and model. However, most sensors have a high level of accuracy, with some being able to detect concentrations as low as 1 part per million (ppm) of hydrogen gas in the air.

4. How often should a Hydrogen sensor be calibrated?

It is recommended to calibrate a Hydrogen sensor at least once a year to ensure its accuracy. However, in high-risk environments, it may be necessary to calibrate more frequently, such as every 3-6 months.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a Hydrogen sensor?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using a Hydrogen sensor. This includes regularly calibrating the sensor, using it in well-ventilated areas, and wearing appropriate personal protective equipment when handling hydrogen gas.