The Controversy Surrounding the Usage of Well at the Beginning of Sentences

• Thread starter Aufbauwerk 2045
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the usage of "well" to begin a sentence and how it can come across as condescending in certain contexts. The use of filler words and phrases, known as "tribal partitives," is also mentioned as a way to create group identity. The conversation also touches on the use of Spanglish and Keres, and how these languages can influence the use of filler words in English. Ultimately, it is agreed that the use of "well" at the beginning of a sentence is not appropriate in formal discourse.
Aufbauwerk 2045
This thread was inspired by an earlier thread on the usage of "we."

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-usage-of-we.908046/

I dislike the use of "well" to begin a sentence in some contexts. Here is a made up example.

[begin example]

Recently I've noticed many news stories about Artificial Intelligence. You may be wondering what exactly is "Artificial Intelligence."

Well, I'm going to pontificate on this issue for a while, in order to enlighten you clueless readers. Of course if I was speaking to you in person I would pronounce the word "well" in a long drawn out sort of way, and look at you in a condescending fashion. You see, I need to pause a bit to give myself time to figure out how to simplify this complex topic for you. I must come down to your level, you inferior person. Pardon my smirk, but I can't help it as I think about how superior I am.

[end example]

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the usage of "well?" I may be reading too much into it. Perhaps people who begin a sentence with "well, ..." don't mean to be condescending. But in any case I don't see how it serves any useful purpose.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, well!

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Now I feel like starting a thread on the word "folks." It has been a favorite of a certain highly condescending TV personality on Fox News.

:)

Says the guy on the building...

I'm not saying it's a bad way to start a sentence in every context.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jedishrfu
Shall we begin to censor the speaking styles of everyone, so that we all like every word we hear? Well, I don't think so, folks. That's not the way we do it in America!

PeroK said:
Well, well!
Well well well well well.
What 'ave we 'ere then /.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
This thread was inspired by an earlier thread on the usage of "we."

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-usage-of-we.908046/

I dislike the use of "well" to begin a sentence in some contexts. Here is a made up example.

[begin example]

Recently I've noticed many news stories about Artificial Intelligence. You may be wondering what exactly is "Artificial Intelligence."

Well, I'm going to pontificate on this issue for a while, in order to enlighten you clueless readers. Of course if I was speaking to you in person I would pronounce the word "well" in a long drawn out sort of way, and look at you in a condescending fashion. You see, I need to pause a bit to give myself time to figure out how to simplify this complex topic for you. I must come down to your level, you inferior person. Pardon my smirk, but I can't help it as I think about how superior I am.

[end example]

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the usage of "well?" I may be reading too much into it. Perhaps people who begin a sentence with "well, ..." don't mean to be condescending. But in any case I don't see how it serves any useful purpose.
You are not too harsh about the use of "well"; and the way you analyze it is good. Keep it out of formal writing, except as the adverb that is should be (or, depending how it could be used, as Subject Nominative).

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
You are not too harsh about the use of "well"; and the way you analyze it is good. Keep it out of formal writing, except as the adverb that is should be (or, depending how it could be used, as Subject Nominative).

Or the noun. Or the verb. Or the adjective.

Words and phrases used to fit in socially that lack clear or possibly any necessary semantic meaning are called 'tribal partitives' -
by a linguist acquaintance at UNM. Partitives are used normally to denote grouping of objects, e.g., a slice of melon. Slice is a partitive. He claims these do-nothing, fiber filler words create group identity. Hmm.

Anyway, I think he seems to have a good point. Some examples...
In the US, listen to a group of 14 year old middle-class girls talking among themselves. Count the number of occurrences of the gratuituous, fatuous use of the word 'like'. Stop in 10 seconds or after you have run out of fingers and toes to keep track.

Adults here in Albuquerque use terms like 'Bro' and 'Bueno bye' in Spanglish - a mostly English mix of English/Spanish that says things about who they are and where they come from. They call themselves Buerqueños or Buerqueñas - words which themselves are a hybrid of English and Spanish.

I lived on Santo Domingo Pueblo (an indian reservation) for a very long time. There, the term 'heh naah' (not how it is spelled, Keres othography is not in my skill set) is an all-purpose fiber filler term from Keres, sprinkled into English sentences. It means anything ranging from the English word 'well', to okay, goodbye, or hello. Mostly implies 'I am Kewa'.

The term 'well' fits well into this mix. o0)

The standard reference for English usage in UK is the book : http://strangebeautiful.com/other-texts/fowler-modern-eng-usg-2nd-gowers.pdfSee p690 .

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I dislike the use of "well" to begin a sentence in some contexts.
Well said. :oldbiggrin:

Or,
Well, I don't know.

More seriously, in a formal discourse in English, beginning a sentence with "Well" is probably inappropriate.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the usage of "well?" I may be reading too much into it. Perhaps people who begin a sentence with "well, ..." don't mean to be condescending. But in any case I don't see how it serves any useful purpose

I think so.

"Well" is used to indicate resumption of discourse, introduce a remark but it can also be used to express surprise or expostulation [an earnest reasoning with a person for purposes of dissuasion or a pleading in protest or rebuke (possibly being interpreted as condescending)." Well" as an interjection usuually
lacks grammatical connection so it does not serve a useful purpose but used as an exclamation it can convey an emotion or attitude. I think a condescension is more effectively conveyed by the person's visual cues and tone of the response rather than using the interjection "well".

Mark44 said:
More seriously, in a formal discourse in English, beginning a sentence with "Well" is probably inappropriate.

And I agree. If you wanted to make a condescending written response you might have to preface your statement with "Let me explain you twit"

Whether it is an innocuous interjection or not is most readily deduced by its intonation, perhaps the context in which it is used or in the case of the OP the visual cues. Written, it looses much of the intent if any and thus adds nothing. The following can convey different interpretations. "Well, you're home." critical or surprise depending on intonation. Written it just a fact.

In the OP the use of "well" being long and drawn out might also be used for the responder to organize his/her thoughts only and nothing else. A curt "well " might imply an annoyance. Some people naturally speak in a way that might be interpreted as condescending but I believe it is mostly the problem of the person being addressed for whatever reason.

I've often hear it used to infer "If what you say is true, then it follows that ...),
an extreme kind of contraction, but certainly understood by most native speakers.

rootone said:
I've often hear it used to infer...
Well, don't you mean "imply?" :oldbiggrin:

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
rootone said:
I've often hear it used to infer "If what you say is true, then it follows that ...),
an extreme kind of contraction, but certainly understood by most native speakers

Strictly speaking this is not a contraction a contraction being a fusion of usually two words as she'll for she will or shall.

I have never heard of or inferred this interpretation although I guess I could now that you planted it in my mind. I often here "well," prefacing "if what you say is true"

Typically something like:
John: "I hear that the bar we usually go to is closed for a week."
Joe: Well, let's go that other one where they often have live bands."

I would have responded with "Then let's go...

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
On a somewhat related note, the word "wellness" irritates me. So does "parenting." I think in these cases it's because I tend to be very conservative in my use of language.

By the way, when I was in high school English we read "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell. I always thought this essay should be required reading for every student. It teaches how effectively language can be used to mislead, often for political purposes.

What irritates me the most is when scientists use sloppy language.

Likes symbolipoint
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
On a somewhat related note, the word "wellness" irritates me. So does "parenting." I think in these cases it's because I tend to be very conservative in my use of language.

By the way, when I was in high school English we read "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell. I always thought this essay should be required reading for every student. It teaches how effectively language can be used to mislead, often for political purposes.

What irritates me the most is when scientists use sloppy language.

If you start a new thread on the misuse of the English language we could have some fun.

BTW my Pol-Sci prof, a practicing lawyer, made a point to demonstrate the misuse of language to mislead and obfuscate for political purposes.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
gleem said:
If you start a new thread on the misuse of the English language we could have some fun.

BTW my Pol-Sci prof, a practicing lawyer, made a point to demonstrate the misuse of language to mislead and obfuscate for political purposes.

He brought the misuse to the class ( I guess his wife/gf )?

EDIT: I don't like 'essay'. If they ask for my essay, I reply, "I don't just have the essay, I _am_ the esse" ( you know, cheesy-movie gang talk);).

Mark44 said:
Well, don't you mean "imply?" :oldbiggrin:
Well, yes, of course he means "imply" ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

I'm not fond of sentences that begin with the word "so".

Well, like, well you know, ... so im new hear, so i have this new theory, so ...

This hit the spot, though. [COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :thumbup:
jim mcnamara said:
In the US, listen to a group of 14 year old middle-class girls talking among themselves. Count the number of occurrences of the gratuituous, fatuous use of the word 'like'. Stop in 10 seconds or after you have run out of fingers and toes to keep track.

Likes gleem
Well, like, you know, So?, It's cool, except fake news that's uncool.
Unicorns will be denied, fake passengers must accumulate in the lower decks.

Last edited:
I tend to take "Well ..." as a shorthand for "In light of the information we've just been discussing ..."

The way my peeps and I use it is to indicate a decision, conclusion, or summary type of assessment.

In other cases, it is simply a signal for a transition in thinking or the present discourse.

More appropriate for spoken communication or informal written communication that is substituting for speaking.

I wouldn't think it appropriate for most formal writing.

Well, now that I think of it, there are exceptions ...

:ok:... I finally caught this...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol
WWGD said:
He brought the misuse to the class ( I guess his wife/gf )?
gleem has it right, though, misuse is the correct word...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :gradcap:

For your pun to work, gleem would have had to use the word missus... it was a pun, right ? [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :peacesign:

Likes WWGD
Another interjection which is quite popular in a response to a question by a politician and IMO more irritating that "well" is "look" easily interpreted as "What don't you get".

Well, that is a hole in the ground into which water collects. :oldbiggrin:

OCR said:
:ok:... I finally caught this...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] lol

gleem has it right, though, misuse is the correct word...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :gradcap:

For your pun to work, gleem would have had to use the word missus... it was a pun, right ? [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :peacesign:

I am writing a book on jokes that only work verbally but not in writing, sort of within the family of no-joke jokes, but not quite.

Likes OCR
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
By the way, when I was in high school English we read "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell.

Thanks, that's a good read.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:

By the way, when I was in high school English we read "Politics and the English Language" by George Or...

Well!

1. What is the controversy surrounding the usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences?

The controversy surrounding the usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences is whether it is grammatically correct or not. Some argue that it is acceptable in informal speech, while others believe it is incorrect and should be avoided.

2. Why is there debate over this issue?

The debate stems from the fact that "well" is traditionally considered an adverb and is typically used to indicate a pause or hesitation in speech. Therefore, using it at the beginning of a sentence may seem awkward or incorrect to some.

3. Is it ever considered acceptable to use "well" at the beginning of a sentence?

Yes, there are instances where using "well" at the beginning of a sentence is acceptable. For example, in informal speech or writing, it can add emphasis or convey a casual tone. It can also be used as a transition word to introduce a new thought or idea.

4. How does the usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences vary in different languages?

The usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences varies in different languages. In some languages, such as German and Dutch, it is more common and considered grammatically correct. In others, like French and Spanish, it is not typically used in this way.

5. Is there a consensus on the usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences among linguists?

No, there is no consensus among linguists on the usage of "well" at the beginning of sentences. Some argue that it is acceptable in certain contexts, while others believe it should be avoided altogether. Ultimately, it may come down to personal preference and the specific language being used.