Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The use of Fubini's theorem

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1
    Hi, I usually dont have any problems with Fubini's theorem, but there is something I just cant figure out. Let f be integrable, and a some positive constant. How do i apply the theorem to this integral:
    [tex] \int_0^a\int_x^a \frac{1}{t}|f(t)|dtdx [/tex]
    Really; I know the answer is
    [tex]\int_0^a \int_0^t \frac{1}{t}|f(t)|dxdt[/tex]
    but I just dont get it. To me this is not obvious (should it be?). Can someone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2
    I guess I have made it more difficult then it really is. I just want to know why the second integration domain turns out like that. For simplicity put [tex]\frac{1}{t}|f(t)| = t[/tex] for example (and [tex]t\in (0,a)[/tex]). Then the integration area becomes
    [tex]\int_0^a\int_x^a t dtdx = \int_?^?\int_?^?t dxdt[/tex]
    Why?

4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a picture in the x-t plane. Your region is bounded by the curves t=a, x=0 and x=t. For a fixed t, x ranges from 0 to t. t itself can range from 0 to a.

5. Nov 24, 2005 #4
    Oh, man... I must be tired :) The original problem was not posted like this. I did not realize that the 2D integration area was infact the upper triangle of the square [0,1]^2. I thought I was dealing with the hole square... Stupid me :)

Then of course it is easy.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?