The value of math/the power of words

  • Thread starter evthis
  • Start date
  • #1
evthis
Math can be used to figure out what will happen while words are required to discover why things happen? The words behind the idea of gravitation occurred to Newton before he sought to use the language of math to figure out what would happen as a result of his theory?
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
41,833
964
What evidence do you have for that statement about Newton?
 
  • #3
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
9
HallsofIvy said:
What evidence do you have for that statement about Newton?


Gee, Halls, he had to think "The Moon is falling just like the apple" before he could try to set up to see how fast it was falling and, after a contretemps due to a wrong distance for the Moon, develop the inverse square relationship for the acceleration.
 
  • #4
honestrosewater
Gold Member
2,105
5
selfAdjoint said:
Gee, Halls, he had to think "The Moon is falling just like the apple" before he could try to set up to see how fast it was falling and, after a contretemps due to a wrong distance for the Moon, develop the inverse square relationship for the acceleration.
Is there no mathematical statement equivalent to "The Moon is falling just like the apple"?
 
  • #5
136
0
honestrosewater said:
Is there no mathematical statement equivalent to "The Moon is falling just like the apple"?

Not currently.
 

Related Threads on The value of math/the power of words

Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
44
Views
4K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
34
Views
5K
K
Replies
12
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
19
Views
4K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
48
Views
6K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
27
Views
3K
Top