Can a Near-Death Experience Change an Atheist's Beliefs?

• Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
In summary, an Aiethiest soldier who was just in Anbar province walks by a VBIED and it explodes, ripping his leg off. He wakes up in surgery at Balad Field Hospital-Balad Iraq and asks for help. He is still an atheist, but says OMG in shock and pain. Christians are not supposed to take their gods name in vain, and he is having a hard time understanding why God won't give him anything for free.
plutoisacomet
An Aiethiest who just happens to be a U.S. Army soldier who just happens to be in Anbar province just happens to walk by a VBIED; guess what happens? It explodes and his leg is ripped off. He wakes up in surgery at Balad Field Hospital-Balad Iraq. The first thing he says is OMG please help me.

Is he still an Aiethiest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is he actually asking God for help?
Or just exclaiming OMG as shock/pain of the situation?

Its all up to him and how he feels about it. Thats the beauty of it :) (not referring to his leg)

plutoisacomet said:
An Aiethiest who just happens to be a U.S. Army soldier who just happens to be in Anbar province just happens to walk by a VBIED; guess what happens? It explodes and his leg is ripped off. He wakes up in surgery at Balad Field Hospital-Balad Iraq. The first thing he says is OMG please help me.

Is he still an Aiethiest?
Yes, OMG is commonly used as a generic expletive. I'm an atheist and say it all the time along with Jesus Christ! Doesn't mean anything to me exept as an expletive.

Evo said:
Yes, OMG is commonly used as a generic expletive. I'm an atheist and say it all the time along with Jesus Christ! Doesn't mean anything to me exept as an expletive.

Not to mention the fact that Christians are NOT supposed to take their gods name in vain. Which means its actually a more appropriate thing for an atheist to do.

Thanks guys

well i guess I'm not an atheist anymore after playing chess in jail which they have mixed up with henerys game "readers digest 1972 i belive" for lives when by magic a piece was moved. the only problem that i seem to be having is that I'm only seeing the left hand, i mean I've seen some good things but for the most part everyone wants the devils hand which for the life of me i can't understand because he won't give anything for free. i'd say if you stuck in a situation where your having to play the price is right make a deal right away just to get out of it.

1. What is a VBIED?

A VBIED, or Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device, is a type of explosive weapon that is concealed in or mounted on a vehicle and detonated to cause damage or destruction.

2. What is an atheist?

An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or gods. They may also reject the belief in any supernatural beings or forces.

3. How are VBIEDs used by terrorists?

VBIEDs are commonly used by terrorists as they are relatively easy to obtain, conceal, and use. They can be used to cause mass casualties, damage infrastructure, and instill fear in a population.

4. What is the connection between VBIEDs and atheists?

There is no inherent connection between VBIEDs and atheists. While some terrorists who use VBIEDs may claim to do so in the name of atheism, this does not reflect the beliefs or actions of the majority of atheists.

5. Are there any efforts to prevent the use of VBIEDs by terrorists?

Yes, there are numerous efforts being made to prevent the use of VBIEDs by terrorists. These include increased security measures, intelligence gathering, and counter-terrorism operations. Additionally, efforts are being made to address the root causes of terrorism, such as poverty, political instability, and extremist ideologies.