Velocity-Composition Law w/ c=1: Deriving the Formula

• B
  • Thread starter SiennaTheGr8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Picture
In summary, the Lorentz transformations of the spatial components of the four-velocity are a special case of the more general transformation properties of the tangent vector of a world line.
SiennaTheGr8
(##c = 1##)

So:

##v = \dfrac{u + w}{1 + uw}##.

If the thing with speed ##u## happens to be light, then the equation still works:

##v = \dfrac{(1) + w}{1 + (1)(w)} = 1##.

And the inverse formula still works, too:

##u = \dfrac{v - w}{1 - vw} = \dfrac{(1) - w}{1 - (1)w} = 1##

But is this mere happenstance? To wit:

1. The often-preferred method of deriving the formula involves Lorentz-transforming the relevant spatial component of the four-velocity. But four-velocity is undefined for anything whose ##v = 1##.

2. A more elegant way of writing the formula is:

##\tanh \phi_v = \tanh (\phi_u + \phi_w)##,

where ##\phi_v = \tanh^{-1} v## (etc.). But the argument of the ##\tanh^{-1}## function must have an absolute value less than ##1##, so if ##v = 1## then ##\phi_v = \tanh^{-1} v## is no good.

Hm.

On the other hand, you can derive the formula in a more "basic" way by Lorentz-transforming the ##x## and ##t## coordinates (in standard configuration), and differentiating the former with respect to the latter. As far as I can tell, this derivation avoids the problem noted above.

I'm not really sure what my point is, but I found this interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
SiennaTheGr8 said:
The often-preferred method of deriving the formula involves Lorentz-transforming the relevant spatial component of the four-velocity.
This is really just a special case. The only requirement necessary is that the vector you consider is the tangent vector of a world line. What you are really looking at is the ratio
$$
\frac{dx^i}{dx^0} = \frac{dx^i/ds}{dx^0/ds}
$$
and its transformation properties. It does not matter what the world-line parameter ##s## is. You can take it to be the proper time, which gives you the ratio of the 4-velocity components, but you don't need to do that.

Likes vanhees71 and SiennaTheGr8

1. What is the Velocity-Composition Law with c=1?

The Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 is a formula used in special relativity to determine the velocity of an object in one reference frame, as observed by an observer in a different reference frame. It is based on the postulate that the speed of light, represented by c, is constant in all reference frames.

2. How is the Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 derived?

The Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 is derived using the principles of special relativity, including the postulate that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames and the concept of time dilation. It involves manipulating equations for velocity and time dilation to arrive at the final formula.

3. What is the significance of c=1 in the Velocity-Composition Law?

The constant c=1 in the Velocity-Composition Law is a representation of the speed of light in a vacuum. This value is used because it is a universal constant and does not change in different reference frames, making it a crucial factor in the formula.

4. Can the Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 be applied to all types of velocities?

Yes, the Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 can be applied to any type of velocity, including relative velocities and velocities approaching the speed of light. However, it is specifically designed for use in special relativity and may not accurately describe velocities in other contexts.

5. How does the Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 relate to other laws in physics?

The Velocity-Composition Law with c=1 is closely related to other laws and principles in physics, such as the principle of relativity and the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. It is also related to the concept of Lorentz transformations, which describe how physical quantities change between different reference frames in special relativity.