The Visual Beauty of Storms

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
When we hear the word storm, we think of the threats that it brings and the damage it might leave behind. I like this video, because it shows the spectacular sky shows that come with storms. They are surely one of our most magnificent displays of nature.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Greg Bernhardt, phinds, dlgoff and 2 others

Answers and Replies

Pretty nice shots!

While beautiful, Nature in its awesome power is scary too. I could imagine someone mesmerized while viewing these clouds and forget that there’s a tornado or lightning bolt lurking in there to strike.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When we hear the word storm, we think of the threats that it brings and the damage it might leave behind. I like this video, because it shows the spectacular sky shows that come with storms. They are surely one of our most magnificent displays of nature.

Awesome video, I have followed Pecos Hank's ( not his real name - he did say one time how he started using that name ) storm chasing for quite a few years. He's very good.
Did anyone else notice the sub-titling error consistent throughout the video ? tomatoes instead of tornadoes haha

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
While beautiful, Nature in its awesome power is scary too. I could imagine someone mesmerized while viewing these clouds and forget that there’s a tornado or lightning bolt lurking in there to strike.
Not if that person is on a boat.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm glad my folks told me about the three little pigs: I live in a brick house. Yeah I know its really a brick veneer and the tornado is a really big wolf.
I find the storms here in the Midwest to be unrivaled in their frequency, beauty, and variety. I have seen two tornados (not exactly Toto-quality) and 3 or 4 fantastic shelf clouds.. There is also a particular kind of storm that produces cloud to ground lightning almost exclusively (this is my own supposition) which is pretty hair raising. I adore them.
My friend moved into a turn of the (20th) century craftsman bungalow here 40 years ago and had the fireplace chimney relined with stainless pipe, apparently not sufficiently well grounded. Last summer the lightning physically blew up his fireplace and fried much electronics. Good thing he is a tube head (the amps survived), old mature people have insurance, and he was absent at the time. C'est la vie. Still worth it

Spinnor
Gold Member

Bucket list + storm chaser

Likes davenn and anorlunda
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bucket list + storm chaser

Something I already do :)
One of my fav activities

IMGP4386sm.jpg

IMGP4832_hfsm.jpg