The Visual Beauty of Storms

In summary: They are absolutely amazing to watch. The sound they produce is truly astonishing, and the sight of the lightning is always a sight to behold. I'm really glad that I can do this activity whenever I want, because there are so many storms to be seen in this area.Something I already do :)
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
When we hear the word storm, we think of the threats that it brings and the damage it might leave behind. I like this video, because it shows the spectacular sky shows that come with storms. They are surely one of our most magnificent displays of nature.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Greg Bernhardt, phinds, dlgoff and 2 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Pretty nice shots!

While beautiful, Nature in its awesome power is scary too. I could imagine someone mesmerized while viewing these clouds and forget that there’s a tornado or lightning bolt lurking in there to strike.

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
When we hear the word storm, we think of the threats that it brings and the damage it might leave behind. I like this video, because it shows the spectacular sky shows that come with storms. They are surely one of our most magnificent displays of nature.

Awesome video, I have followed Pecos Hank's ( not his real name - he did say one time how he started using that name ) storm chasing for quite a few years. He's very good.
Did anyone else notice the sub-titling error consistent throughout the video ? tomatoes instead of tornadoes haha

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
jedishrfu said:
While beautiful, Nature in its awesome power is scary too. I could imagine someone mesmerized while viewing these clouds and forget that there’s a tornado or lightning bolt lurking in there to strike.
Not if that person is on a boat.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
I'm glad my folks told me about the three little pigs: I live in a brick house. Yeah I know its really a brick veneer and the tornado is a really big wolf.
I find the storms here in the Midwest to be unrivaled in their frequency, beauty, and variety. I have seen two tornados (not exactly Toto-quality) and 3 or 4 fantastic shelf clouds.. There is also a particular kind of storm that produces cloud to ground lightning almost exclusively (this is my own supposition) which is pretty hair raising. I adore them.
My friend moved into a turn of the (20th) century craftsman bungalow here 40 years ago and had the fireplace chimney relined with stainless pipe, apparently not sufficiently well grounded. Last summer the lightning physically blew up his fireplace and fried much electronics. Good thing he is a tube head (the amps survived), old mature people have insurance, and he was absent at the time. C'est la vie. Still worth it

Bucket list + storm chaser

Likes davenn and anorlunda
Spinnor said:
Bucket list + storm chaser

Something I already do :)
One of my fav activities

IMGP4386sm.jpg

IMGP4832_hfsm.jpg

2015_01_09_2727sm.jpg

2015_03_11_3289asm.jpg

Last edited:
Likes BillTre and Spinnor

1. What causes the visual beauty of storms?

The visual beauty of storms is caused by a combination of factors. First, the interaction of light with water droplets and ice crystals in the atmosphere creates stunning colors and patterns. Additionally, the contrast between dark storm clouds and bright sunlight can create dramatic scenes. Finally, the sheer power and force of storms can be awe-inspiring to witness.

2. Are there certain types of storms that are more visually appealing than others?

Yes, some types of storms tend to be more visually appealing than others. For example, supercell thunderstorms with their rotating updrafts and dramatic cloud formations are often considered the most visually stunning. Tornadoes and lightning also add to the visual appeal of storms.

3. Can storms be dangerous even if they are visually beautiful?

Yes, storms can be dangerous even if they are visually beautiful. While the visual aspects of storms can be captivating, it's important to remember that they are also powerful and potentially destructive natural phenomena. It's important to always prioritize safety and follow any warnings or evacuation orders during a storm.

4. Is there any scientific explanation for why some people find storms beautiful while others find them scary?

The perception of beauty is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, studies have shown that some people may have a genetic predisposition to enjoy intense experiences, such as storm watching. Additionally, personal experiences and cultural influences can also play a role in how individuals perceive the beauty of storms.

5. Can the visual beauty of storms be captured in photographs or videos?

Yes, the visual beauty of storms can be captured in photographs and videos. In fact, storm photography and videography have become popular hobbies for many people. However, it's important to always prioritize safety and follow proper precautions when attempting to capture storm footage, as storms can be unpredictable and dangerous.