Help Me Solve My Homework Problem

In summary, the metal weighs 8,2N in air and 7,1N in water. The volume of the hole on the inside is 78,8cm3.
Redinorun
I've got this problem with my HW. Would appreciate the help. Thanks.

1. Homework Statement

A metal peace with the density of 10,4 g/cm3, has a hole on the inside. The metal weighs 8,2N in air and 7,1N in water. What is the volume of the hole?

Homework Equations

V = m / ρ
m = Fg / g
Maybe some else I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have already managed to figure out that: V1 = (8,2N / 10m/s2) / 10400 kg/m3 = 0,0000788m3 = 78,8cm3; Which means the volume of the metal has to be 78,8cm3, since the hole inside is filled with air and there is air around it. Now I am probably suppose to figure out the volume of the meta peace in the water and then subtract the volume of the metal from it, to get the volume of the hole. But how can I calculate the volume of the metal peace in the water? Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Archimedes' principle tell you?

That any floating object displaces it's own weight of fluid. So technically the equation would be V = (Fg / g) = ρ;
But that doesn't seem right...

That is a special case for when an object floats and therefore has the same buoyancy as its weight. The more general statement is that the buoyancy force is equal to the weight of the displaced water. An object that sinks displaces a volume of water equal to its own volume.

Would that mean that: Fb = Fg = ρ * g * V
V = Fb / (ρ * g) ?

But that can't be right, because it is smaller than the actual volume of the metal...

What values are you putting in for Fb and rho?

ρ = 10,4 g/cm3 = 10400kg/m3 (the density of the metal)
Fb = 7,10N (the weight of the metal in the water)

Is this not right?

The total weight of the object in the water is the gravitational force on the object minus the buoyant force.

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the displaced *water*.

So if I'm interpreting this right this means:
Fb = ρ(water) * g
Fb = 1000kg/m3 * 10m/s2 = 10000N

F = Fg - Fb
F = m * g - Fb
m = (F + Fb) / g
m = (7,1N + 10000N) / 10m/s2 = 1000,71kg

V = m / ρ = 1000,71kg / 10400kg/m3 = 0,0962m3

Which is not correct... This is so hard...

You are missing the displaced volume in your computation of Fb. A good practice is to always check that the units in your expressions are correct. The force on the object due to gravity you have from the weight outside of water.

Fb = ρ * g * V1
F = Fg - Fb

F = Fg - ρ*g*V1
V1 = (Fg - F) / (ρ*g) = (8,2N - 7,1N) / (1000kg/m3 * 10m/s2) = 0,00011m3 = 110cm3

V= V1 - V2 = 110cm3 - 78,8cm3 = 31,2cm3

And according to the solutions below 31,2cm3 is right! Thanks kind Sir from the internet. :)

1. How can I find help to solve my homework problem?

There are a few different ways you can find help to solve your homework problem. You can ask a teacher or classmate for assistance, join a study group, hire a tutor, or use online resources such as educational websites or forums. It's important to find a method that works best for you and your learning style.

2. Can someone solve my homework problem for me?

While it may be tempting to ask someone to solve your homework problem for you, this is not the best way to learn. It's important to try to solve the problem yourself and seek help when needed. This will help you develop problem-solving skills and retain the information better.

3. What should I do if I don't understand how to solve my homework problem?

If you are struggling to understand how to solve your homework problem, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it with a fresh mind. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps, or seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for homework?

Improving your problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. You can start by breaking down problems into smaller steps, using different strategies to solve them, and seeking help when needed. It's also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to complete your homework efficiently.

5. What resources can I use to help me solve my homework problem?

There are many resources available to help you solve your homework problems. You can use textbooks, online tutorials, educational websites, and forums. It's also helpful to have a study group or a tutor to provide additional support and guidance. It's important to find the resources that work best for you and your specific homework problem.